Zone Alarm suddenly blocking internet access

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sgt. Tibbs, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I'm using Windows 2KPro with free Zone Alarm (version 7.0.470.000). When I got up this morning I had no internet access, and now it only works if I disable Zone Alarm. I really, REALLY don't want to be connected without a firewall, but it seems to be my only option.

I haven't changed any settings, but unfortunately I can't tell you when it last updated. I can tell you it was NOT in the last 12 hours since I was last online. Ideas?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Tibbs

If you have in your Windows Updates for yesterday KB951748 then read the below thats affecting users of XP, cut n pasted my reply on this from another thread on same as I feel its going to be a common one over comming days. I do know that from very very early reports of this MSFT devs have been watching it as well as Checkpoint makers of Zone Alarm, and with this being a popular Firewall I can see Checkpoint issuing an update soon.

This is the fix for that http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=52727 does require you to reset the Zone Alarm database so all settings will be lost, but learning afresh is good sometimes, weeds out the old apps no longer on your PC.

Other workarounds that are filtering out are to uninstall KB951748 which is the critical update, until Checkpoint ZA fix this and issue an update or reduce your setting in ZA Internet Zone to medium temporarily until fixed, if you're behind a routers NAT or SPI firewalls then your as ok as you can be.

The setting the slider for ZA Internet Zone to medium or using the 1st fix above in reseting the ZA database are what I would concider best options as updates to the TCP Stack are crucial security ones.

Just hope checkpoint can work this one out as ZA is a popular firewall, as updating core OS files will always happen at times in Windows so 3rd party applications need to have a check in place to allow user to reset database, as the TCP/IP Stack in which this issue related to does go through some updates as we all wish to be as secure as possible, jut on this case ZA has the old MD5 checksum from previous TCP Stack files listed.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Day late, dollar short.

Oh well. ;)

5. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

S'ok, Adrynalyne...I don't have a dollar, either. But since the link Halo gave can't find the page, you get a fifty-cent credit. :-D

Hm. I had an update, but I chose not to install it. It wasn't that one, though, it was KB890830. Assuming they go in order, should I be that far behind?

Poor Comcast guy...my service was out for five days and JUST came back on, so I'm afraid I wasn't nearly as pleasant as I could have been when I called this morning to tell them my internet was out again. :eek: LOL

Thanks VERY much. I'll keep working on it. Just when I think I know how my own darn computer works it screws with me. :eek:

6. DavidGP

7. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

LOL Thanks again! For now, until I have time to deal with it, I've got it set to medium and I'm online with at least some protection.

Y'all are faster than Comcast tech support and I didn't have to press 1, then 3, then 7, then 4, then enter my phone number and the phase of the moon. I love that! :-D

8. DavidGP

Hahaha on support, Mmm should MGs get that add-on for VB....

Anyhow, if you have a router/modem with NAT or SPI firewall built in your fairly safe as outside would will not see you with those enabled, you'd still be stealthed on your ports, and ZA should still alert you to new apps wanting outgoing permissions.

9. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

$^#^%*(&%$^@$#%! and did I mention %$$#*!#&#$^&%*%^!!!!!!!$#^$! I don't think I'm a complete and total moron.

I don't have a folder labelled "windows".
    In none of my windows-related folders is there a folder labelled "internet logs".
    Consequently, I cannot delete either of the two things I'm supposed to delete to make this work.

So, I thought, hey! I'll just completely uninstall ZoneAlarm, then download and install it again!

DIDN'T WORK. :mad:***:banghead:cry

Now what?

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

In 2K the folder is C:\WINNT

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds