Anti virus 2009 reinstalling deleted files?

Discussion in 'Software' started by greybuffalo, Dec 23, 2008.

1. greybuffalo

greybuffalo Staff Sergeant

Hi,
    I was suckered by this virus and have now seemed to have removed it,but I also seem to have deleted some important files.
    My computer appears to functioning correctly,but images are not coming up.
    Can anyone suggest a program that could replace any missing windows xp2000 home edition files?
    Please,and thank you in advance.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Are you sure you have it completely removed?
    May I suggest the Malware Removal forum.
    They may also be able to help with the missing files.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

3. greybuffalo

I have XP,sorry.
    What should I do with infected system files ,such as winsock?can I delete them?

4. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

You can really mess up your system deleting random items..
    The above link really will work for you.

Do not delete winsock

5. greybuffalo

Ive been through that whole cleaning process,from start to finish,but I did delete some files before ( as when I got this virus I panicked and deleted the boogies?)and now some images are missing for example,there is just a little block for reply and cannot see smilies.
    Is there a program where I can fix files that I deleted to show pages like they are supposed to be?pray.
    Also how about when one deletes old programs and their names stay in the registry files,is there a (not manual way of deleting those?
    Thank you for your patience

6. greybuffalo

Sorry,I wasnt aware I had to that,
    I will do it now.

7. greybuffalo

Hi Petaluma,
    yes I have been reading all you have pointed out to me.
    Restoring the files appears to me quite complicated and I think I need removable drive first to store all those things that the article suggests,then wait for my son to visit and have a crack at it,as my computer,touch wood,is only missing icons and a few other things which I can live with.
    Sometimes( only this time hopefully) .
    I was busy doing something and that phony Microsoft warning came up...and I hit it?? like a fool.........duh????

8. greybuffalo

I have just notice
    when I right click,it says"show picture" when I do that the picture comes up?.
    How can I change the settings,so all the pictures work again?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  9. greybuffalo

Image problem now solved

I managed to sort out the lack of images:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds