Older laptop with Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by outdoorgal, Aug 4, 2014.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

but it has an HDMI input, so I want to fix it up for my sisters big-screen to be the projector for it.

Trouble is, can't get it to connect to the wifi. I am not sure what the problem is, and I will give you more info if you have questions for me but when I get back from an errand to town.

Normally, I can pick up my sister's wifi, but not able to connect. Maybe I have gone wrong somewhere in the security passcode/key I set up so neighbors can't bleed off her signal.

Thanks for any help, Denise

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

When you hit start, you should have a "connect to" option. Does it not see your WiFi connection?

3. outdoorgal

Yes, it does Tim, then it says "Wireless Networks" are available. Then I go to "Manually connect to a wireless network" and type in the wifi SSID, then the type of which Wep, and then the passkey. Ok, and this time it said the SSID already existed, so forgot I didn't need to do all that again.

Then it says "Windows Cannot Connect to SSID" (it gives the name I named it though, not SSID) then below it gives 2 options, Diagnose Problem, or Connect to another network. denise

4. outdoorgal

Ok, it says that the wireless authentication settings on this computer do not match the requirments on this network.

I'm thinking because I didn't go into the laptop "router" site and change it, but I can't get online to do that?

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Just open IE and put in the address for your router. Also, have you tried connecting wired?

6. outdoorgal

No, I haven't tried using an ethernet. I can try that if all else fails, can't I, thanks, never thought of that!!;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds