upgrade psu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roycharlette, Aug 4, 2014.

1. roycharlette

roycharlette Private E-2

i want to upgrade my psu for gaming but don't know which one to get my mother board is a pegatron model narra 5.00

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks

You would probably get more responses if you posted this in the hardware section. But, a few pointers on power supply selection . . .

You need to make sure the power supply you buy has enough wattage to run all the devices you have installed. Newegg has a power supply calculator you can use to determine the correct wattage for your system. Manufacturer sites generally have them as well.

Buy a quality power supply! There are hundreds of brands to choose from, including many that claim high watt output for a low cost, but most of the time such supplies are not dependable, and can in fact destroy your motherboard when they fail. Power supplies by OCZ, Antec, Corsair, and Seasonic are considered, by and large, to be of decent quality. There are many other very good brands. Do some research on any power supply you are considering . . . check user feedback and enthusiast forums for information on particular brands and models. Use this data to make an informed decision on what to buy. You don't want to get stuck with a poor quality PSU . . . trust me. I learned that the hard way.

Another consideration is making sure the power supply you buy has the right type and number of connectors you need. For example some higher end video cards require a direct connection from the power supply to function, and if your power supply does not have that you would need to get an adapter.

Good luck with your PSU hunt, and if you need anything - just ask! :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  3. sheepondrugs

sheepondrugs Private First Class

It depends on what graphics card/s and other things you have on your system also.

The PSU only uses the power the system needs, so if the full system only needs 500W, and your PSU was 850W, it would only use 500W.

If you had a PSU lower than your computer needed it will stress/scream/burn out. So it's best to get a higher one than a lower one.

Try this calculator:
    http://www.service.asus.com/#!psu-calculator/c1ig3

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

That ASUS calculator is outdated and rubbish :) my machine uses ~60W normally, ~230W when gaming, it does NOT require a 550-600W PSU ...

Try this one for size, click on the Lite version link: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Roy, is that motherboard an older HP/Compaq? We really need the full hardware details, no sense in spending $2-300 upgrading the PSU and buying a shiny new graphics card if you're still gonna be bottlenecked by the rest of the system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds