Question about GPU heat levels

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zoldun, Aug 6, 2014.

1. zoldun

zoldun Private E-2

Hi guys im a bit worried my gpu anytime i start a game it will go up and up and get to like 75-80*c after a short period is that normal ?

GPU card
    AMD Radeon 7800

right now im idle only got browser and a few programs open and its :
    51*c
    2461 RPM
    300 / 1200MHz @0.90V

(i duno if they help but trying to give as much info as i can)

I have over the last 2 or so years getting random displau drivers crashed and i didnt know why but now im starting to think perhaps i got faulty gpu?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Temps above 70°C or 159°F are excessive. The crashes could indicate the graphics card is beginning to fail. You need to do something about the cooling for your rig. There are people on the forum that have more experience with this type of issue than I have.

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

If you suspect video card failure you need to either increase the cooling to see if it solves the problem or overload the video card to force it to crash, then you know you have your problem.

To increase cooling take the side of the case off and blow cool air directly on to it with a desk fan, then run a video intensive application such as 3dmark, heaven benchmark, furmark or any game benchmark of which there are hundreds.

If the crash is more random and hard to pin down you may want to force it crash by running a video intensive app while not increasing the cooling, this is more risky but your temps are not dangerous at all and you cooling in working, listen or monitor your video card fan speed, make sure the rpm spins up fast as the card warms up, you need to keep an eye on your temperatures throughout the tests, if a crash happens make a note of the temperature.

Do you have bluescreens? If so go to C:Windows/minidump add the last two dump files as attachments with your next post for someone to debug, we can work out if the video driver is causing the crashes by debugging these dump files.

As always clean out you video card heatsink and fan and update to the latest driver before testing, monitor temps with MSI afterburner

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds