Best Anti-Virus Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by clarkkent333, Mar 13, 2004.

1. clarkkent333

clarkkent333 Private E-2

I was wondering what you guys thought was the best overall AV software. My experiences so far:

BitDefender - Major resource hog but excellent scanner
    Norton - Very poor scanner, medium resource usage
    Panda - Good scanner, low resource usage but somewhat flaky (random problems)

I haven't tried any others and was wondering what you all thought. Thanks.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Well, of course it's biased. It's his opinion! :) And I wouldn't say it was an unfair opinion, either, if it really represents his experience with it.

You can't please all the people all the time. Panda won't be liked by everyone.

3. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Opinions are opinions, and as such, they don't need to be fair. Rating an AV is always going to be a matter of opinion. And in our informal evaluation thread you referenced, only 35% of the responders think Panda is a "keeper."

I personally think Panda is a decent AV program, but I would also recommend Avast, it's less of a resource hog.

4. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Hey robo, I've got some 'special' emails I'd like to forward on over to you...

Don't worry, you can trust me!

heh :p

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I ran Norton and got tired of paying for upgrades every year or so. I now run AVG. It does the same job for much less $$. On the down side, AVG does not always autoupdate correctly.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You better hope AVG doesn't do the same job. I would hope it does better.

Norton doesn't do much of anything right.

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I can compliment the makers of norton on one thing, they do good virus writeups. shame their software is rubbish...

8. jbrock31

jbrock31 Private E-2

Ive had more problems with panda than AVG. However panda is good for viruses. AVG is just as good though, and more stable IMO.

9. jbrock31

jbrock31 Private E-2

AVG is rated as one of the best paid AV's. The free edition is definitely the best IMO. Like other poster said, you just have to update yourself sometimes, but if your always tweaking your pc, this is probably a regular thing anyways.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Been using Panda since last year.

So far so good, no issues.

11. Hello! Kal-El,

I used Norton Pro, for a while, but eventually got fed up of paying for protection I could easily get for free. So I opted for Avast (Home). I tried a couple, AVG and AntiVir Pers. (the popular ones here on MG) where some of them, but I wasn't sure yet. Then I discovered Avast, it seemed to suit my needs so I figured I'd keep it for a while, just to try. 9 months later It's still scanning my puter, and it's blocked a couple nasties since. Doesn't seem like much of a hog, and it auto-updates pretty often(every 2 or 3 days) and it offers many different settings to suit your needs. Anyways, nobody can make the choice for you. Use what you feel comfortable with, but still keep in mind what others have to offer from their experiences.

This might also help,

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=62&mnu=62

This thread might also be of good use to help test your AV. check it out.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29585

Last edited: Mar 13, 2004
  12. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

I have been using panda for 2 years I have never gotten a virus either. Panda is just as good as any other AV outher.

THe one thing that is going to make me get rid of panda eventually is the fact that their customer service sucks. and I mean big time

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Private First Class

Why not start here < http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/about/index.xml > and here < http://www.icsalabs.com/ > ,check test results and do some trialing. Test results on these sites don't mean everything (IMHO) but, it's a good place to start. See which one you are most confortable with (ie have best updates, ease of use, etc). From going to different fourms people tend to like Kaspershy or NOD32.

14. clarkkent333

clarkkent333 Private E-2

So far Im virus free, thank the invisible god, so Im looking more into people's opinions rather than stats. Im going to give Avast a try but if that doesn't prick my willie then Ill stay with Panda.

15. Hey Clark!
    Just remember don't run both AVs at the same time. Unless you feel lucky ;)

16. clarkkent333

clarkkent333 Private E-2

Yeah I made sure to turn off Panda while I was trying out Avast. Avast was horrible. Poor UI and I couldn't figure out how to keep the real time scanning going without the program scanning every file on my hard drive. Guess its on to AVG. Either that or go back to bit defender.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds