Monitor issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by opscomp, Oct 1, 2005.

1. opscomp

opscomp Private E-2

Hello. This is probably a dumb question...
    I have recently bought my mother a secondhand desktop - early P4 with Intel chipset, no gpu. I also purchased a new, cheap 17" LCD to go with the box.
    After installing XPpro, I attempted to get the monitor drivers installed. However XP would not properly recognize the drivers. After some fiddling around I got the drivers installed, resulting in a display which 'wobbles', ie. the cursor, text, everything on the desktop seems to vibrate in a really appalling way. Tried to fix it, no luck. What initially interested me was the fact that the power-up test screen, bootscreen etc looked fine, just the windows screens were affected.
    The real clanger was that when i connected the LCD to my mother's old PC, a pentium3 setup with old graphics card (16 or 32mb?), it works perfectly. Now i am really confused.
    Have tried rolling back video driver, reinstalling XP generic driver, no luck so far... do i need to buy a gpu? Wouldn't have thought so...
    More hardware details can be posted if necessary. Can anyone help me with this?

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

Most of the time you can run a computer fine without the monitors driver. The video and chipset drivers are far more important. If the computer was displaying the correct resolution and whatever else before the monitor drivers were installed I'm not sure what the point of getting the monitors drivers installed, unless they had some hardware specific gamma correction abilities but most video drivers have that, plus there are plenty of third party applications that do that quite nicely.

3. opscomp

opscomp Private E-2

So what should i do? Do you think it is a faulty motherboard/monitor connection? I have tried rolling back to standard XP drivers, that didn't work...

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

I would uninstall the monitor drivers as that appears to be the source of your problems.

Where did you get these drivers?

5. opscomp

opscomp Private E-2

The drivers came with the monitor.

I will try reinstalling the standard drivers.

Thanks a lot for your help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds