boot problem after malware removal; IUTL agent?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DrWoof, Feb 13, 2008.

1. DrWoof

DrWoof Private E-2

Had a problem with multiple instances of IE explorer opening ads and went thru the malware removal procedures here and stopped without doing MGtools. Problem is now resolved :), BUT every time I boot I end up with a small box with some squiggles in it and an exit button to press. Cant close the box, but I can press exit and the computer then proceeds to boot into windpws XP properly. This is a minor inconvenience compared to where it was before but how can I get rid of it?
    Also, there is a new startup item listed in the registry: IUTL angent (IUTL.exe located in the Windows\system32\sys32 folder). What is this about? Im afraid to delete it unless I know its safe to do so.

2. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Run MSCONFIG and uncheck that item in the start up list. That way you can undo it if there is a problem (shouldn't be).

3. DrWoof

DrWoof Private E-2

Thanks CP! I disabled that but it did not make a difference in how Windows boots - didnt seem to affect anything else either so I still have the mysterious little box where I have to press OK on bootup. Also, I ran a reg cleaner later and this completely eliminated the IUTL.exe file after I rebooted. Any other ideas on that pesky little box on bootup?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds