First post in malware now instructed to post here

Discussion in 'Software' started by ravenblackhardt, Jul 13, 2010.

1. ravenblackhardt

ravenblackhardt Private E-2

Initial post was First prob was redirect and pop up - now worse... in Malware

Initially I had a redirect problem... I followed the read and run me first and CC cleaner deleted part of my AVG this caused a whole new set of problems.

I had an issue with this before.

Part of my AVG got partially deleted in the past and it was a 2 week process getting my computer fixed. It took forever to find hidden files to delete, avg remover tool wouldnt work. I believe it was Tim that was helping me here... I accidently stumbled upon a file and just started deleting all AVG files that it would let me and finally things started working again and I reinstalled and everything fell into place. Problem is this time. I cant find any of these files. BUT the problem is the same.

I can not execute any exe files in standard mode.

I dont know why CC cleaner deleted part of my AVG but I was directed not to change any settings in the instructions. So I assumed it was a residual file and let it do it's thing.

According to the Maleware host that problem is cleared up. Now we are just trying to get my permissions fixed and that is a software issue. For the time being, Im able to get online on IE... this is an intermittant thing. Sometimes after an instruction and a reboot, I will try to get on IE and I get a blank screen and IE will not load.

Before all this I was unable to use IE and Firefox was the only browser I could use. Now it gives me the same error that exe files give me in normal mode.
    "Windows can not access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

This is the exact same error I got the last time I had the issues with the partial deletion of AVG.

I can not run any MGTOOL, COMBOFIX, etc in standard mode for diagnostic, I can only run these in safe mode. I have already tried microsoft fix, I also get the same error.

Please please please please please help me.

I use my computer for work. I have a paid version of AVG, I dont know how the maleware got past my AVG and maleware antibytes, and spybot search and destroy in the first place.

The first clue was when I typed in Google prednisone weight gain (due to taking it for bronchitus) I would click on links and be redirected to Acai berry or canadian drug sites. Then I started getting pop ups and realized I must have a small bug. I came here to get diagnosed and started the read/run first and the CC cleaner did me in. Now I'm in this boat....

You can see the initial post in maleware to see where I have been thus far.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Renee

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. ravenblackhardt

She told me that I should move to software, as there was nothing else that could be done in maleware... but if she posted after my last reply, I was unaware. Hi again Tim... I will try your instruction.

4. ravenblackhardt

Well, I can save it and try to run it in safe mode. I tried to do so in standard mode and got the same permissions error as all other exe files.

5. ravenblackhardt

Nope, just checked,
    Kestral's last post said:
    "I didn't know your version of avg was paid for. Don't change then, you'll have to visit the software forum I'm afraid "
    So, I'm not ditching her, I'm following her instruction to move to this forum.

as stated before, when I reboot, I sometimes loose ability to use IE, so I may not be able to reply. I will try to use the permissions tool repair in safe mode and return. If I do not return, you will know I was unable to get back online and I will have to get any further instruction from my work computer tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW,
    This is just a list of some of the programs that will and wont work
    Dreamweaver, Windows Movie Maker and Corel Paint shop pro X2 WILL work

Corel Draw, Incredimail, Corel video studio, Nero, firefox, google chrome, photoshop cs4 will NOT work give me the permissions error listed above.

Some of the fixes including microsoft fix even give me a similar error in safe mode, I cant remember the exact error, but I will save it, and post it if I am able to get back online when I reboot from safe mode.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  6. TimW

Can you go into your program files and right click one of the programs that is not working and choose properties? Then click the security tab and see if you can add your user profile with full permissions.

7. ravenblackhardt

Hi,
    I havent rebooted yet. Got sidetracked away from the computer...
    but when I try to go into program files, say to open corel, it opens a folder with a bunch of files in it. If I right click on the corel exe file, it doesnt give me a security tab. Where would I find this?

8. TimW

Don't go into the folder, just right click the folder and in properties, you should have a tab for security.

9. ravenblackhardt

Dont know if it makes a difference, I have XP not vista...
    when I click on the folder and select properties,
    my tabs say General/Sharing/Customize
    I am the admin of the computer... that could be why it doesnt show that... I dont know.

BTW, I did the XP fix thing... didn't help, still get the error
    I have attached the new MG log after using the tool you instructed (however I already had an mg log in my c folder, hopefully the new one overwrites the old one, because I didnt think to delete it before I ran this one)

I know you posted the instructions for the exe helper in the maleware forum, but just to avoid confusion of going back and forth between forums Im posting both results here.
    (the exe helper log is already attached to the post at maleware, and it wouldnt let me attach it here as well)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  10. ravenblackhardt

FIXED!

Ok, I figured it out!

I finally got it.

I tried to reinstall AVG and got an error, so I decided to google the install error, and the error was on the AVG error board, so Im going to post the fix link incase anyone else has the same issue:

It resets the access permissions:
    http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/support/reset_access_avg9_en.exe

easy peasy!

Then I was able to access all files, use all exe, all browsers etc. BUT I tried to install AVG again and got a different error... SO I had to do a avg uninstall, use the clean uninstall tool, go in and look for residual files, remove all files and folders... that caused some of the issues to come back, the AVG still didnt want to properly install in standard mode, so I installed it in safe mode.

Booted back to standard mode, ran the permissions correcting file again and I'm alllllll better!

But I'm saving all these instructions incase this happens again.... I just hope I remember where I save them :-o

Thanks to Tim and Kestral for all your efforts and patience!

I for one appreciate your time and effort!

11. ravenblackhardt

OK NOT QUITE FIXED

I was able to download the AVG in safemode but it wont update so it isnt up to date.
    I read all the forums on avg and it says to uninstall reinstall and then I get the same error I was getting before

Local machine: installation failed
    Installation:
    Error: Action failed for file avgmfx86.sys: starting service....
    Access is denied.

If I install it in standard mode I get that error, all posts regarding that error say to do a clean install, or say there is residual files from a free version, or old version... that are blocking it.

Soooo Tim, now that I have access to run exe files, if you can give me instruction on what to run to find anything that is blocking a proper reinstallation... I'd love ya forever.

I installed the latest version of Java as per kestrals instruction... but I dont think it's working properly since it was installed after my avg reinstal that isnt properly functioning. I believe my incredimail needs java to function, so it still will not open... other than that, pretty much everything else seems to be functioning.

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

13. TimW

Please go here and download and run the AVG Removal Tool.

Once you have done that, run CCLeaner.

Now try downloading and installing MSSE.

Then run it.

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

That was the one I was looking forTimw

15. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

We can't understand your writing. Please post in English. Thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds