Flash/ Plugin-container Stuck in FF

Discussion in 'Software' started by boston_019, Oct 13, 2012.

1. boston_019

boston_019 Private E-2

Hi,

Running Firefox 15, and the most current Flash (as of an hour ago), on XP.

I take an online math course through my college, and it uses Flash to show the problems that I do in my assignments. Periodically, it will totally stop working, and fail to load my problems (hereinafter referred to as exercises, to prevent confusion). It has stopped loading exercises again, as of yesterday. Plugin-container gets stuck and the whole browser freezes (requiring me to shut down plugin-container via Task Manager).

Tech support typically has had me add several websites to various trusted/allowed lists in FF. These websites disappear off those lists periodically as well (not to mention Windows deciding to not "use Windows to automatically configure network settings" periodically). Those sites have been restored to the various lists on which they need to be.

Tech support is unable to resolve my problem. I tried disabling crash protection, to no avail. I tried creating a new FF profile dedicated to my schoolwork only, no luck. I tried resetting Firefox, no luck. I encounter the same problem in Chrome and in IE.

HELP!

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

What is your Windows version?

What is your display adapter, device driver version & date?

Have you tried to upgrade to the latest Firefox version (16.0.1)?

3. boston_019

boston_019 Private E-2

Windows XP 32

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 (from Device Manager). 2 entries, the first is function 0 and the second is function 1. Both using version 6.14.10.5182, driver date 11/11/2009. Update driver tells me there is no new update available.

I just checked my Firefox, it's now at 16.0.1 (must have updated overnight), but this hasn't corrected the issue.

I'm told at http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1777779#post1777779 that I don't have a malware problem, FWIW...

4. boston_019

boston_019 Private E-2

I also tried going back to Flash 10.3xxxxxx, no luck, so I'll return to the most current version (11.4.xxxxxx)

5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

6. boston_019

boston_019 Private E-2

The detector didn't work in IE or FF. Oddly, the math site is working now, the only clue I have is I changed the "Disable video and animation on a page that does not use external media player" setting to Enable in Internet Options> Security. I know that should govern IE and not FF... but it's the only thing that I changed before it worked. I dunno?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds