Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by 8082ca@gmail.com, Aug 26, 2014.

1. 8082ca@gmail.com

8082ca@gmail.com Private E-2

I am new to Major Geeks and not sure why I get myself in a mess trying to get my laptop running correctly with compatible software to remain virus/malaware free. I have been ripped off hundreds of dollars first by buying a ASUS K55A-RBR6 laptop made in China and the worst support ever and after purchasing $60 restore disks. I had to to restore this several times due to BSOD with internal repair thing then finally returned my laptop before my 1 year warranty was over which I sent the restore disc with laptop as the disc #'s did not match my laptop. I spoke with ASUS support prior to sending and they were aware of why I was also sending the disc.
    4 weeks later I got my laptop back in a shotty box with no padding to protect it in route but I did not get disc returned? I got the run around around, sent a complaint to BBB but ASUS did not respond to either. They replaced the HHD but I again ran into BSOD so I looked for computer help and found 247techies (Claim 30 or 60 day $ back which that was a lie and Paypal refused to take off charges even though I called 247techies the next day to tell them my laptop was not booting up) they talked me into 1 year remote support for about $200, after they did a adware scan and put a remote program, which I was unaware of under programs which I could not remove and had to pay $300 to another computer support Geeks on Site to come to my home to fix the unresponsive laptop 1 day after 247techies "fix" ,Geeks on site spent 7 hours fixing this thing. I agreed to the monthly scans or deep cleans for $24/month. but I feel I can download the programs I need from this site compatible with this laptop.
    But I have no idea what to download and how to send you the data if I need help and if I am unable to fix any thing I would rather donate to people who are generous to offer assistance. I am tired of people who rip others off or offer services that do not stand by the claims listed on there websites. I have worked since age 14 and never ripped anyone off so it really upsets me that this internet age is full of greedy selfserving lowlifes that take advantage of computer dummies like myself. I think I will buy a Mac when this ASUS gives out.
    I want to send the specs of my laptop but how do I send it?

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to Major Geeks.

Sorry to hear about all your issues with the tech support you have used. Typically, if you are going to pay for tech help, you are better off finding a good local computer repair shop than doing anything online like you did. If you haven't, I would first discontinue that $24 monthly fee. That is insane and definitely a rip off.

If you explain what issues you are having right now, I can direct you to the forum that would be best for you to post a detailed explanation in with your computer specs.

Unless you are having malware issues, we typically do not need data or logs posted.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

I echo what Laura has mentioned too you already and with more information we should be able to assist you but we need some basics first, things like

The Model variant should be ok as its this one, left this link http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=K55A as it has the drivers we need at some point, unless the motherboard has been changed to a new different one, or if different one we can use the following, and do read the instructions carefully.

What Windows version and service pack are you using? (above will help with this)

But my main question is what issues are you having and if you have had a BSOD, then what was the error code?

Can you boot into safe mode (F8 at boot and choose Safe Mode with Networking)?
    If you can boot in Device Manager what items have a yellow ! mark next to them?
    What security software do you have installed, as too many security applications can cause BSODs?

This should get you started and one of us will move your thread from the Welcome Area to the Software/Hardware section as more tech minded folk review those areas more daily that the Welcome area.

4. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Welcome to Majorgeeks :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds