NO Admin rights - OPS SYS LOSS ? emergency help please

Discussion in 'Software' started by SueQ2, Aug 30, 2014.

1. SueQ2

SueQ2 Private E-2

• I am/was running Win7 op sys on Medion desktop Quad Core 32bit, which at first developed an inet logon problem.
    • When attempting to solve this I was getting also an error message – “error 651”, and had lost my Admin rights
    • I then attempted to regain my admin rights using your forum advice (COMPUABLE – 04-29-12 @ 0808)- (nothing wrong with the excellent advice) – but I somehow managed to get things very badly wrong when changing permissions/taking ownership.
    • I am now in the unhappy position as follows:
    • I get access denied when I try to do anything further via ops sys (sys restore etc)
    • Under properties -Local Disk drive (C :) NFTS shows “0” & “0” for both used and free space
    • Under Security tab this shows – under Group or user names: SYSTEM & (Administrators ****\Administrators) with all permissions shown for SY&STEM as ALLOW (except special)
    • Advanced shows SYSTEM – Full Control and Admin as special (neither inherited)
    • Owner is shown as - *****(*****-PC\*****)
    • Since my poor attempt at admin recovery I now also have an additional drive “Q”
    • This is showing similar attributes as (C:) (as Owner) but with no permissions

*I have a system recovery (D) with factory restore info on – but don’t know how to utilise this – plus a System reserved (I) - with content

**I also have a Win recovery disk but unfortunately I am unable to use this without permissions – it keeps rejecting…..encountered unknown error etc.

Being a Silver surfer (70) - I would very much appreciate User friendly advice if any is available!

Thanking you in anticipation

SueQ2

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I think your System Recovery CD is your best option. Do not attempt to access this from Windows, you have to boot directly off the CD. If your BIOS is set to boot from CD first fine, it should boot into the recovery environment from where you can run System Restore. If it doesn't boot from the CD then restart and start tapping F8 immediately. This should give you a choice of what to boot from.

3. SueQ2

SueQ2 Private E-2

Hi Earthling - thanks for quick response, well appreciated!
    I have managed to get up and running again (with basics) using most of what you have told me - I think!
    It looks like I have a complete reset, so now have to re-install everything?

I have loaded Chrome and Security essentials for a medium of protection before I begin trying to get back to normal.

One question I hope you may be able top help me with - you mentioned recovery?

I have a Recovery "D" drive - can you possibly advise and explain for me how I can copy this (I assume factory info) onto my "C" drive, be it all at once - or individually please!
    I assume I am able to do this in an easy manner but I don't know the steps, be-it from the Recovery part or using this in tandem with the recovery disk? If that makes sense?

*I only have Chrome and my basic security as programmes on my machine at the moment, so it will save me a massive amount of time if you can help.

Thanking you in anticipation.

SueQ2

4. Earthling

Sounds like your 'Win recovery disk' was a Medion disk used to reset the machine to its factory state. I had assumed you were referring to a Win 7 System Recovery Disc which the user can create within Win 7 from Backup and Restore. That would have given you the option to select and use a System Restore point, which may have corrected your problems without affecting anything else. Anyway, there is no reversing what you have done so updating Win 7 and reinstalling your software is your only option now. I hope your personal files are backed up :eek

The D drive you are asking about is another way of restoring your computer to its original state and is invoked by tapping a function key during startup, the actual key depending on manufacturer and model. It does not contain any means of restoring your computer to an earlier state other than factory. For that you would have had to have used Win 7's Backup and Restore which can create a restorable image of your system any time you want.

5. SueQ2

SueQ2 Private E-2

Hi Earthling,
    Thanks very much for the extra info - I will have a crack at that later - could be a godsend!

Many thanks for your help - very much appreciated.

SueQ2

6. Earthling

You are very welcome Sue. I just wish I had enquired a little more about the type of recovery disk you had as it might have saved you a lot of trouble. But a reinstalled system is always nicer to use.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds