so what do you think the single best invention was to this date??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lubetek, Apr 27, 2005.

1. lubetek

lubetek Private First Class

thought this would be neat. I'd really have to think of this for some time...in the end I would think I'd say the "music box"

I am a HUGE PC guy. build 'em sell 'em...Love 'em. but in the end music is the more important thing to me..listening to music ...it just enlivens me. the Stereo/Radio would be my first choice.

whats yours?

2. lubetek

lubetek Private First Class

'course "electricity" is needed for music....then again they have "windup" boxes....hmmmm

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

The Wheel

4. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

The Universe.

Boy, that sure was a fun thread, eh? ;)

5. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

astroglide. . .
    really
    handy stuff that is

6. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

Quizno's Chicken Carbonera sandwich

Steve

7. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Me!!!.. :p

8. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Language, after all there are worse careers than cunning linguist.

9. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Indoor plumbing and sewer systems. Not very romantic, but that did more to reduce disease, pestilence, and plagues, and extend the lifespan of city-dwellers, than anything medical science has accomplished.

10. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Motorbikes.....tho' I am glad they are a little comfier than the Arials of old

11. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Okay, so 'me' being "invented" wasn't so great. :rolleyes:

On a more sensible note. Maybe the wheel and all the wheel-like things that came of it, Maybe the light bulb - man could at last work at night without lamps and candles, maybe the computer and all the offshoots of it - for the first time man has developed something that will extend his mental abilities, not just the physical, or the environment, and also enables the actual rate of 'progress' to be vastly accelerated. Maybe he print press, etc. No actual one thing can be considered the greatest.

12. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

I'm torn between astroglide and music :mad:

13. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Well it's a toss up,

Paper Bag, cause my girlfriends Ugly.
    Or
    Light switch, cause Beauty is only a light switch away.

14. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Bail! Don't ask. No, I'm kidding, really. I'm gonna go with the bicycle.

15. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

I've been thinking about this off and on today. It sort of forced me to take a look at things we as modernized human beings take for granted. Initially, I thought of electricity (which I believe was mentioned by lubetek, but then discounted), but electricity was never really invented...Just harnessed. Then I thought indoor plumbing, but as I just looked back over the thread, I see G.T. stole that one.

So, I suppose I'll stick with electricity, and say that the greatest invention(s) are: Michael Faraday's Induction Ring, which led to the discovery of electromagnetic induction...OR...Nikola Tesla's alternating current motor.

16. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

17. horai

horai Private E-2

Sorry, a while since I've been around.

I'm a petrol head so it has to be the 1959 Chevy Impala rag top. Possibly the most beautiful car ever built. :D :)

18. horai

horai Private E-2

Mmmm, OK. Being as how you put it that way. :D

19. Publius

Publius Sergeant

Since all things geeky are possible as a result... how about the transistor.

20. slider

slider Major Wise-***

How about mathematics ? or does that count as an invention ?

21. mew2

mew2 Sergeant Major

electricity for the masses..

22. SGC_Geek

SGC_Geek Private First Class

The vibrator. I needed a beer :p :cool: :)

23. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

They did a thingey on this once and came up with the 'Guthenberg Press'....guess it was the 'word' to the masses....[​IMG]

24. tux2460

tux2460 Private First Class

I'd have to go with sliced bread. Since it is the comparsion, "Wow that's the greatest invention since sliced bread!" Therefore one must give sliced bread credit as at least the first great invention....or just the only invention with a good enough marketing team to make it popular enough to have that phrase constructed....

25. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

Technically nobody "invented" electricity, it's a force of nature. It was merely discovered.
    I'd have to rank the internal combustion engine up there. That was a biggy, that whole industrial mechanization deal.

26. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

The environmentalists will be picketing outside your door all weekend. :D :D

27. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

The atomic bomb.

Why? You may ask.

Well, Just look at history. Since the end of WWII, the world has been relatively peaceful. By that, I mean there have not been major wars with large death tolls like in the past. It's only been used twice. Not counting the testing of course. But since it's been used, nobody, except wacko terrorists, will use it again. Because of it, large armies have been kept at bay.
    Just think where the world would be if there wasn't one. China, Russia, or whoever with their large armies would be free to destroy any country they wished to.
    It's a doomsday device, simple as that. Not intended to be actually used. Only there to keep the peace. And it's worked.

28. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

Not nearly as deadly as the previous World Wars. Or our own Civil war. What I was getting at: There won't be any thing like those World Wars again. Only civil wars like Korea and Vietnam. Thanks to nukes we don't have to worry about Attila the Hun, Hitler, Napoleon, or any other massive army.

29. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Beer! :)

30. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I think it was the TV, because not only does it give brilliant redneck new and hilarious ways to quicken their demise, it makes an awesome babysitting tool for the parenting population of america, AND is single handedly the largest reducer of IQ points known to date.... who needs those things anyway?!?!

Wow, i think i might be able to pack a little more sarcasm in there, if i really try.

31. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

No. We didn't nuke Napoleon. The Nuke of Ellington did. You must've been sleeping during that lesson.[​IMG]

I guess I shouldn't be complaining about getting rained on, snowed on, and tanned all in the same freakin day here.

32. lb4norleans

lb4norleans Who 'dat

This one's easy hands on: "The Bass Guitar." :cool:

33. Publius

Publius Sergeant

I don't know if I would agree with this. There were approximately 5.4 million deaths (civilian and military on both sides combined) in the Vietnam war (http://www.rjsmith.com/kia_tbl.html) compared to about 600,000 in the American Civil War.

While 5.4 million doesn't compare to the estimated 60 million that died in WWII, I wouldn't think this qualifies the atomic weapon as leading to anything "relatively peaceful".

34. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

The nice soft bed……..other wise we would still be sleeping on rocks

35. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

Beer 'n Puters! oh.. boobs are okay too :D

36. THE KxLxBx

THE KxLxBx Private E-2

Absolutely positively the internet,I guess we're supposed to thank Al Gore for that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds