Problems with Virtual memory, task Mgr, Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pozzydrive, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Hi

It all started when I got spy sherrif or something like that on my computer, I had wanted to format my drives anyway so did so at this point, only to find that I could not download SP2, then Spy Sherrif would still be there, I started over again and formatted my C drive by taking it via the slow route it took about 15 hours to format, loaded XP on again but this time the system was slower, plus had trouble surfing the net, then a window popped up saying my virtual memory was almost full, after managing to get on the net I looked up this problem and was told to go into task manager but could'nt get it to stay booted up each time a small green square appeared in the bottom tray then promptly disappeared when I ran the mouse pointer over it, also I think I must have loaded XP 3 times so must have crowded the C drive or virtual memory, not sure, I thought that it would just overwrite the previous one, I dont seem to be able to do much with the system, can someone please help, is there anyway of wiping the previous XP's off the OS.

2. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Puleaze help, desperate.

Anyone know how I can empty a virtual memory and delete a second operating system overwritten on top of another? Puleazeeee help.

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

Re: Puleaze help, desperate.

Well, maybe. A few details about your problem would be helpful.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I have merged these two threads Pozzy as they as I read it are on about the same issue your having? and should answer md2lgyks question.

But ok if I take a moment to refresh.... you dont mind or have formatted and installed XP from scratch?

You can download and burn to CD for later use SP2 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...be-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

I would also do the same with your favoured AntiVirus, Firewall and Antispyware apps so you can install those before connecting to the net to update both XP and the apps after installing XP and SP2.

Nice guide to follow http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

when you get to step 5 choose the C: drive and then Delete the selected partition, then Create a new partition in the unpartitioned space left by C: then format again do the full ( yeah I know it takes longer ) then continue with the rest of the install, once installed use the saved SP2 to install SP2 then install your security apps before connecting to the net ( good thing to do is to pull the ethernet or USB cable from your PC ( dependant on which method interent you have )

once installed connect to the net and update.

5. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Hi Halo
    Yes I re-installed XP pro so that it would format my drive only trouble is that I had to do it a few times as each time different problems arose, one time everything just practically ground to a halt, now at least I can get on the net but with a few problems one of which is endless viruses etc, I read an article saying that I could delete some stuff in the virtual memory to help the situation, when I boot up I get to a section that asks me which operating system I want and it starts to count down, its as if there is two operating systems one overwritten the other, also when I use some of the free software that I downloaded from majorgeeks e.g. AVG etc it shows previous software from my original files which I thought would have been obliterated when I formatted the drive, don't understand this, anyway will do as you ask, thankyou.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds