Clicking on a link in Outlook Express brings up "Owners Documents"

Discussion in 'Software' started by jsm555, Jun 13, 2006.

1. jsm555

jsm555 Private E-2

Somehow I've lost the file association between .htm/.html and IE/Firefox. Firefox is my default browser, but when I click on an html link in an email (Outlook Express) the window that opens is "Compaq Owners Documents," rather than a Firefox window. I've tried re-installing Firefox with no improvement. This APPEARS to have begun right after I installed IE7 Beta (although I seldom use the program). Firefox operation seems to be normal otherwise. Any ideas how I should track this down? Thanks --
    steve

2. hutchfred

hutchfred Private First Class

Don't know if this will help or not.

Open your Control Panel, double click on Folder Options, review all your settings. Pay attention to the tab File Types. Review all of the File Extension Types. Look for the file extension that you are having problems with. Click on the Advanced button to review the settings. You may find your problem by accident like I did once. If not, I'm sure some of the experienced members will be able to help.

3. jsm555

jsm555 Private E-2

Thanks for the tip - well, here's what I've found: When I change the default browser to IE7, links to a web page will open the browser from OE. But if I change the default browser back to Firefox, clicking on the link will bring up a window with "Compaq Owner" in it. It appears that it's a problem with IE7 (beta) - I can still use Firefox for most situations and use IE7 only for opening files from another app. It's a pain, but I can live with it.

But I've also found another problem: clicking on 'REMOTE ASSISTANCE" just does nothing - the hourglass appears for a moment but then goes away. I'm almost positive that this problem began after installing IE7, so maybe that's another little "beta surprise" !!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds