Azerus Torrent network HOG

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stevef22, Jun 30, 2006.

1. stevef22

stevef22 Private E-2

Looking for a network program to kill either Azerus or lock the net at a certian time. Tried zone alarm when screen saver activates but stupid windows and Zone Alarm dont get along well.

In the mornings when people try the net Azerous is hogging it up and I need a program to kill it after 9 or so hrs.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I have a similar problem with 3 PC's hooked upto a Router and someone DL'ing music and making the rest of us suffer (slower than 56Kb dialup). Firstly you should explain to the person/s the dillemma but if they still refuse to be considerate you could stress your point by using a DL manager (eg Free Down Load Manager) and DL something yourself, eg. UBCD available at this site and a must have, which will take the bandwidth off most other apps in my experience and give them really slow DL speeds to make it a pointless excercise for them until you obtain a common ground, this will still give everyone slow surfing speeds but hopefully get the point across. The extreme method is to turn the torrent app off or unplug them from the router.

3. stevef22

stevef22 Private E-2

I am the one running Azerous, what simple solution could I put on the pc running Azerous to shut off? Tried windows automatic shut off/sleep but for some reason it didnt turn off. I thought their might be a network timer that will kill the network on that machine at a certian time.

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

This probably has something do with the way you have windows configured (possibly in BIOS) that certain system activities can bring Windows out of hibernation or even cause it to power on. I don't have the answers at hand but a bit of research into network pulling Windows out of Hibernation or even powering on would be start.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Only thing I have come across that could do the job, apart from the myriad of free apps that can close your PC down fully after a certain time or lenght of time

Opening Hours
    http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html#OpeningHours

syntax eg. from me setting the app to open Opera from 12:00 to 24:00 hrs.

OpeningHours.exe "C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe" start=1200 end=2400 checkdelay=1000 run=1 close=1 kill=1 killdelay=5000 hide=0

( you would substitute the file path to Opera with Azerus )

Pop the app OpeningHours.exe in your system32 folder as this needs to be run from the run box ( or if your clever or anyone else has the time to write a batch file to run from desktop ) as this is not a GUI app in that it does not run when you double click the .exe file but needs the above eg. command to be copied into the Start > Run box.

6. stevef22

stevef22 Private E-2

Very cool, thx, I am going to install and check out. Have u had ne problems when the program is allready running inside the window? ie, if I set it to run from 10pm to 8am. However I am on my pc untill 11pm and dont want azerous running untill later because it will slow down my connection. So if I close azerous after Openinghrs and then re-open it at 11pm will it still close down correctly?

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Opening hours will if running re-open the app again, so if your going to be on your PC and dont want Azerus open then dont run the command until you need it, sadly its not got a pause button... maybe worth a suggestion to the app programmer tho if Openning hours does what you want it to do.

Yes if you exit Opening hours after its start time say 10pm and you then restart it at 11pm then yes it will close on the time you set ( tried it earlier so I could say yes or no )

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds