desktop is missing, os cant be reloaded

Discussion in 'Software' started by scoobydoo1952, Jun 1, 2007.

1. scoobydoo1952

scoobydoo1952 Private E-2

I bought another bar of ram. When I tried to install it, my desktop disappeared. I can run the computer off task manager. The desktop sometimes reappears by running a new task in task manager. Sometimes I can get the desktop back by tapping on the taskbar and pointing to desktop.
    But it doesnt always work.

Since I have a recovery disk, I tried to use the recovery mode on my acer comp but it says that it isnt available. I tried system restore but my desktop didnt come back.

Comp specs

Acer 3.0 ghz
    512 ram
    160 gig hard drive
    xp home os

Thanks for advice and help

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

So, you shut down your computer. Removed the power cord, inserted the new "bar" of ram. Now, the computer doesn't boot properly?

Have you tried removing the new "bar" of ram and seeing if the computer boots?

What about safe mode?

3. scoobydoo1952

When I try to bring up the desktop thru task manager I get the following message. Windows cannot find '/idlist,:0:512, C:\Documents'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search. Also I get a message after this that says 'There was a problem sending the command to the program'. I hope that this helps, I am sure it does.

4. scoobydoo1952

I took the bar of ram back out and rebooted the system but I still have the problem. I havent tried safe mode.

5. scoobydoo1952

I tried safe mode and the same thing happened. Nothing on the desktop loaded.I got the same messages as before and a message that said something about the C++ system. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice.

Lyn

6. scoobydoo1952

oops I forgot to include a message that says buffer overrun. I hate all of these error messages. As long as I can get the desktop to load thru task manager the computer seems to work fine.

Thanks again

:) Lyn

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Why did you get the extra ram in the first place?

Was the pc misbehaving before then?

Studio T

8. scoobydoo1952

my b/f bought it for me just so my comp would be faster, i have done spyware scans and have found a little. i used adaware and spybot. Adaware found 6 negligible objects and spybot found one. Nothing comes up on avg free.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds