Laptop Heat Issues?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by clickk, Feb 4, 2006.

1. clickk

clickk Private E-2

I recently purchased a new laptop (my very first one) and I've noticed that it can get pretty warm... I was using it to surf the internet and also use a word processor (so pretty much idle...) and the temperature gradually increased to around 46 - 48`C. My laptop was also set on a table, so it's not like it was on my lap or something and the cooling underneath was blocked. I'm getting a little bit worried, because for using such 'relaxed' programs, the temperature is getting abnormally high (as compared to my desktop, which peaks at 40~ while running 3D gaming and I only have air cooling). Various friends tell me that it's ok for a laptop to heat up more than a desktop, but I'm just a little worried because even if my CPU itself isn't damaged, I'm scared that the other hardware close to it will be...

So... would those temperatures be 'normal' for a laptop? Below are the specs to my laptop:

Dell Inspiron 9300
    Intel Pentium M 760 (2.0GHz)
    1GB PC2-4300 DDR2 RAM
    256MB NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Go

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Many say that laptops run hotter than desktops, search and you should find numerous threads on this site.

46-48C seems pretty good my desktop idles on 50C and hits 65-67C under load and it has 8cm inlet with funnel directly onto CPU fan/heatsink, 8cm outlet and ArticSilver 5 thermal paste.

My girlfriend has an older laptop and it certainly runs hotter than this!

I would only become concerned if you begin to suffer significant sys lag.

3. clickk

clickk Private E-2

Alright thanks :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds