Question involving Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Reita, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Reita

Reita Private E-2

You all know that if you open up windows explorer by clicking on a folder (For example: My Computer), and in the address bar you type in a URL, it goes to the web page, but in Internet Explorer.

Is there a way I can make it so when I enter a url into a folder's url box, it opens up Firefox with the web page instead?

The main reason is I'm trying to keep my sister from using IE since she keeps getting so much freakin adware and spyware with it. I have plugins and mods for firefox that block out ads so there's less chance of getting it.

I removed all the shortcuts and made firefox the default browser, however, my sister likes to just open my computer and enter her url in, and thus once again she avoids using Firefox.

Can somebody help me? x_x She's so freakin stubborn. Everytime I do an adware/spyware scan, 90% of it comes from her Temporary IE files.

2. manmachine

manmachine Private E-2

Hi Reita
    One suggestion would try to tweak the HTTP registry entry (back it up first with right click-export). There is a sub-key named "shell", open it, next one is named "open", last one is "command" . On the right pannel double-click on the value which is the path of IE, and tape in the path of Firefox. Close the box with OK and reboot. Now everytime you'll tape in an address using the HTTP protocol, the new command you entered will launch Firefox. You can do the same for the internet shortcuts (favorites), since their hidden extension is .url and you can change the way they open regarding the browser you use for. Go to the registry entry InternetShortcut and do the same steps as before. Take great care of what you do, assuming that you know what you doing. It worked fine for me, since my default FTP browser is not IE and I tweaked the registry entry for my convenience. Hope that will help..

3. Reita

Reita Private E-2

Thanks a ton! It took a while to find the entries you were talking about (I just used a registry search program).

Everything works now. =D

4. manmachine

manmachine Private E-2

Great..!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds