Hard Disk Problems (Multiple Drives : Bad Sectors, Motor Problems.. Etc.)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zato-1, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Zato-1

Zato-1 Private E-2

Hello everyone,

I just grabbed an old 20GB Seagate HDD from a friend in an attempt to 'fix' it. It had 3 broken pins at the IDE hookup, weird slowness and probably a few bad sectors.

The pin-thing i corrected by using guitar string pieces in an old IDE cable and using that cable for the HDD in question. This successfully made the contact and the HDD booted and was recognized, i then proceeded to backup everything on it. All transferred ok, although VERY slowly.

Then i formatted the first partition, well, not that easily. Windows refused to format it and i had to go into command prompt, use the /x switch and then it formatted ok.

I'm currently running a surface scan on it and looks like it has some bad sectors, although very small. How can i have windows "shut out" those bad-bytes? I mean ignore them and not even try to read or write to them?

More questions about ANOTHER HDD which can't startup or does so but then turns off somehow coming soon. Once i've checked that other drive thoroughly. I'm running a workshop for friends here !

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Scandisk should do the job of marking bad blocks on a disk. Norton Disk Doctor can do the same.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds