Low Level Formats

Discussion in 'Software' started by gary050, Apr 26, 2003.

1. gary050

gary050 Private E-2

Bear with me. I,m not the sharpest marble in the jar. In a reply to someone, Kodo warned about low levels. I have another computer with a hard drive stuck in msdos. Is low level formatting going to cause any more problems?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ive always looked at it that if my hard drive is going to fail with a low level format, it was going to fail soon anyway.

The major warnings I have seen is the intense writing used during a low level format can cause a drive with problems or weaknesses to fail.

Fact of the matter is, it was going to fail soon anyway, so why not give it a shot?:D

Better to find out now, then when your precious data is on it.

3. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

What do you mean by "Stuck in MS-DOS"?

You should be able to use FDISK to delete the DOS partition(s) and create new ones if you want. That will get rid of any trace of DOS.

Low-level format (i.e., a zero-fill) should be really unnecessary. If you want to, though, I'd get the free utility from your HDD manufacturer's webstie. They all have them.

4. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

Only time i ever needed to Low lVl fromat was when my Partition table/names where messed beyond all belief. couldn't type i nthe dang drive label in Fdisk cause it has ANSI characters beyond my keybaods power:D so rather then spendign hours messign with it i loaded LLF program and zero filled it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds