HELP! Cant change my screen resolution

Discussion in 'Software' started by KinGpInN, Oct 17, 2003.

1. KinGpInN

KinGpInN Private E-2

Hi there,

I just switched my OS from XP to 98SE.
    The problem is that i cant change my screen resolution. Its stuck at 640x480. And i can only choose a number of 16 colorss!!. I cant slide the bar to a higher resolution like you're supposed to do. I dont understand because it used to work fine with 1020x780 and 32 MB color.

Is there anybody out there who can find a solution for this shitt.

2. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

first question is:

Why downgrade?????

Ok.. my guess is that no drivers loaded for your video card...
    WinXP has all sorts of driver support built in..

What kind of video card do you have? Do you have drivers for it?

3. KinGpInN

KinGpInN Private E-2

well i downgraded because XP didnt run smoot enough on my system.

First it was called ATI 3D RAGE LT PRO under XP
    but it now says Compaq Presario MV700 color monitor

so my guess is use the drivers for ATI?

but i always seemed to have problems finding the right drivers for my card. Maybe i dindt have to find the latest drivers under win XP because it comes with a lot of drivers. (i think)

Pentium iii 450 mhz
    Win 98SE
    9 GB hardisk
    64MB RAM

4. KinGpInN

KinGpInN Private E-2

Problem solvedd!!

thnxx menn

5. MsManna

MsManna Private E-2

Re: HELP! STILL Can't change my screen resolution

Okay, I have this same problem and have reinstalled my video drivers and all seems okay but if I try to move from the 640x480 to 800x600 my system asks to reboot for the changes (even though it is set to make the changes without a reboot) and when I do this, it says my display settings are not compatible with my hardware(I think, it is something like that). So I need to reset the settings under the properties box and it won't change from 640x480 @ 24bbp. It started at 16bbp then it changed to 24bbp okay and now I don't even have the option to change it any higher. Previously it would run at 800x600 24bbp (true color?) without any problem. And this card places a small diamond in the windows task bar tray and this is where I can change the screen resolutions. it only shows the 640x480 options and no more...before it would display options up to 1027x??? (don't remember)

Specs: Gateway P2, 233mhz, 24GB hdd, 128 ram, W98se, Diamond Monster fusion 3d 16MB video card

It went to Columbia with my daughter to college and now it is back and I can't seem to fix the problem. There is also some weird toolbar in IE I can't seem to get rid of. But the end of the web pages (to the right of the screen) are cut off and we have to scroll to see the remainder of the pages we view. I did reinstall the drivers, it has done this before and when I redid the drivers it was okay. But now, it will not change back to its original state! Can anyone help? Do you need more info??? I will be checking back daily...Thanks for all your help!

6. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

I'm wondering if the hardware it is refering to that is not compatible with your settings is your monitor? I'm taking a shot in the dark here. Also, try going to Start/Control Panel/Display/Settings and adjusting your settings from there, it may or may not give you more control than the taskbar icon.

Also, describe the toolbar in IE that you can't get rid of?

7. MsManna

MsManna Private E-2

Hi Thanks for the reply...The toolbar I can't shake is pretty plain and uses the search engine WebSearch. It has (from left to right) "Search for" and an entry box with a drop down arrow, next to that is a medium length button with a drop down arrow to choose a search engine (although I still get the same plain looking web search site results page), then a map button, yellow pages, white pages and highlighter, and page rank button. Then skin button, business directory, internet archive, mail, and help buttons. I turn it off but when I open IE again it is there and I can't find it in my Add/Remove programs area either. Thanks for any help...
    As for the monitor, it may be the monitor but it is a larger Gateway 2000 EV900 and my daughter had a EV700 - maybe I should look for those drivers? This monitor is a little older than the computer itself but a step up as far as screen size... I did try to change the screen through Display settings and that is where the computer must restart and then it tells me my settings are incompatible. I did update the drivers but no new or updated drivers were found on my computer and I don't have a disk for the monitor.

8. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

I think websearch is a spyware infested program. Run Ad Aware, and that ought to help. Ad-Aware can be downloaded here. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

I'm clueless for your other problems, but sometimes cleaning out the system can do wonders. Let's start with that!

Eric

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Hi Kingpin, Psssst--Wanna sell a cheap copy of XP?:D rereading this post I noticed that you have/had XP installed with 64meg of RAM. Maybe this was why your system was not running " smooth enough". I was surpised no other MG 'ers commented on this.

Seriously, though, I am after a cheap copy of XP as being on a pension, money is not that plentiful nowadays. Bazza

============

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds