avira anti-vir update problem (surprise surprise)

Discussion in 'Software' started by ferg46, Oct 13, 2007.

1. ferg46

ferg46 Private First Class

ok guys i know this has been brought but im just wondering what should i do

when avira is fully updated many sites/reviews/comparisons and i believe it to be the most effective freeware av,

however it only updates its definitions when it wants to

how serious is this i may try to update the prog 4 times in a fortnight and it may ACTUALLY update once or twice , which means the programme goes sometimes a week or more with old definitions

i,e do you guys thinks this default is reason enough to change a/v

thanks guys

ferg

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

From their help index:

and also:

I have Avira. I have not had any problems with updates (I've checked). Mine is set for every 24 hours. Check your scheduler. I would even try changing the interval to, say, every 23 hours to reset it. It may help.

I know some have had problems with this program updating. If you are and are not up to date, I would say you are not fully protected. Your antivirus is only as good as your updates.

3. ferg46

ferg46 Private First Class

hi laura
    thanks for the info

however i think the problem lies deeper than the scheduler not configured properly , that being said i have reset the scheduler like you said to every 23 hours , when i opened up avira and clicked on scheduler i got a strange pop up which i have atttached to this post .

after this i then procceded to where i usually encounter my problems , the home screen is showing me a warning that my definitions are out of date , so i press the update button and it just wont connect to the defintions website , it gives me the options to view the report file so i have attached that also

thanks for help so far guys
    ferg

Attached Files:

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You said it has updated in the past? So you aren't having connectivity probs with your internet? The report file is showing the same thing as the pop up...that your connection is failing.

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall?

Also, have you made sure that your firewall isn't set to block it?

Other than that, I know people have had probs with it's update. Maybe one of those will see this and have more insight.

Good luck. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds