How To Disable CD-Rom drive in the Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AirBot, Sep 30, 2004.

1. AirBot

AirBot Private E-2

I need to disable my CD-Rom (actually a CD-R) drive in the Bios, but I haven't been able to find any way to do this. I was hoping someone could walk me through how to do this with my Bios.

Please, explain like you are talking to a retardate; because you pretty much are. ;)

My mobo is an Asus A7N8X (non-Deluxe).

2. AirBot

AirBot Private E-2

Lugztaz - See, that's just the thing; I can't change the assignment of my secondary master like you described. (i.e.: If I put the cursor on it and press +/-, nothing happens!)
    The only thing I can do is enter the drive sub-menu (by pressing ENTER). Here, I have two options I can change:
    • IDE Secondary Master - Can be toggled between Auto/Manual/None. However, if I toggle it to none Windows still sees and accesses the drive as usual. In fact, I just installed the drivers for my new web cam ... with the this option set to none in the Bios!
    • Access Mode - Allows me to select from a variety of access modes for the drive. I'm not sure what the difference between them is, but I can't imagine this will in any way help me disable the drive.

3. Ironman273

Ironman273 Private E-2

Well, do you need to disable it in Windows or the BIOS? In Windows you can go to your device manager and disable it from there...

4. AirBot

AirBot Private E-2

Well, like I said in my other thread, I need to prevent a certain program from accessing the drive. Unfortunately, that program works on a driver-level, so it apparently can access the drive even when it is disabled in Windows.

The only way I see of doing this is by disabling the drive in the Bios.

In short, I want to disable the drive in the Bios so Windows is unable to access it.
    Unfortunately, as I've mentioned, this isn't working out too well.

5. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

can't you just disconnect it physically????

6. AirBot

AirBot Private E-2

Yes, I can. I was just hoping for a more elegant way to do it.
    It'll be a moot point soon enough, but I'm still interested if anyone has the answer.

7. Ironman273

Ironman273 Private E-2

Well, I didn't see your other thread, so I wasn't aware of your problem.

Maybe you could try uninstalling it from Windows, then when you reboot, removing it from your BIOS.

If NONE still doesn't work, what if you manually set it to some different configuration?

8. AirBot

AirBot Private E-2

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were supposed to see the other thread. Just, you know, thought I'd mention it in case you were interested in why exactly I'm asking this strange question. :)

To be honest, I'm not really sure. I'd imagine changing the access mode would at best slow down reading from the drive or something like that; at worst, it could screw something up. Besides, there are like a gazillion different options there; there's no way I could try them all. :)

That other suggestion just might work though!

Anyway, I'm pretty much finished with the game already. Ironic, isn't it?
    Still might give this a try though; just for kicks.

Thanks for all the help people!

9. vampboi

vampboi Private E-2

This sounds like the winner to me...if you are trying to disable it in bios I dont really know of a way because the MB will just recognize it again on startup. So....just unplug that drive ;)

10. AirBot

AirBot Private E-2

But shouldn't there be a way to tell the mobo not to auto-detect the drive on start-up?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds