Linux installation woes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dubmeister, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Dubmeister

Dubmeister Private E-2

Hi Geeks,
    I have a new build of an Athlon 3700 S939 CPU, a Winfast S939 mobo w/ Nvidia 6200 graphics, Hitachi 160GB SATA HDD, 1GB DDR400 Ram and an 18x DVDRW.
    I have tried to install Suse 10.2 , SLED 10 SP1, Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu 7.04 alternate, Berry and Fedora 7 on this and none of them will take.
    It either freezes just before formatting or I get a kernel panic which says
    "unable to mount root fs on unknown block (9,3)" Can anyone help at all?
    I am pulling my hair out in frustration over this.

2. pacpis

pacpis Private E-2

I meet this kind of problem when trying to install OpenSuse 10.2 on a SAta drive, i think that all distribution aren't compatibled yet with the SATA technologie, i just got an old ATA drive to install it

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

SATA drive 1
    [​IMG]

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

SATA drive 2
    [​IMG]

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The Linux kernel has supported SATA for quite some time (I can personally vouch for both Ubuntu and Fedora Core). I'd say its more likely you have a bad burn of those distro images--did you compare MD5 hashes against your download vs the hash stored on the server? Did you burn them at the max burn speed, instead of a slower, safer (for data) speed?

Or, are you trying Linux because windows was unstable for you? That may point at an underlying hardware problem.

From the error you mentioned before the panic, I'd say you have a bad sector on one of your hard disks or you have formatted the partitions incorrectly for Linux.

For reference, I use:

Arch Linux (Don't Panic)
    Kernel: 2.6.22

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds