Can not installl Norton on computer because of another antivrus already on computer.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Truth By Definition, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Truth By Definition

Truth By Definition Private E-2

I have downloaded the free Norton Anti virus 2005 from google.com (google pack) but when I try to install it the message comes up that it can't be installed because it detects another anti virus program.

I removed what I thought was the only anti virus on my computer. (PC-cillin)

Is there a way to search my computer to find any other anti virus programs?

I am running Windows XP profesional.

Maybe I should download another free anti virus from this site instead?

Thank you.

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

Maybe I should download another free anti virus from this site instead?

yep good idea here a free one http://www.majorgeeks.com/AVG_Free_Edition_d886.html

Because norton is nothing but bloatware and in my oppinion it cripple pc
    more then anything else.

If you remove pc-cillin check in program files if you have anything else
    still in the folder and remove it i think it should be program files/pccillin/ i think not shure about that one..... maybe somebody here will tell you where is it exactly.....

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

4. Truth By Definition

Thanks guys! So far I have downloaded WINer Tweak registry Cleaner XP from this site and used it to clean my registry (which I learned that I could do today.)

I then tried to install Norton again but it still did'nt work

Next I will take your advice and download http://www.majorgeeks.com/AVG_Free_Edition_d886.html

We'll see how that goes.

5. suek

suek Private E-2

Re: Can not installl Norton on computer because of another antivrus already on comput

I have Norton 2005 - my subscription is expired. Hubby bought a 10 pack version of 2006, but it won't load because I have Windows 98 (2006 requires 2000 or better). Norton says 10 pack subscription won't cover renewal of 2005 version - I have to buy another renewal. Tried to download your ***free*** ! virus definition update, but I get a "your subscription has expired" message. So...it seems like it's only free if you have a current subscription, in which case it's free anyway! Am I doing something wrong or am I up a creek?
    SueK

6. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

Hi Suek, and welcome to MajorGeeks. Firstly, you need a registered subscription to Norton's in order to get updates. The updates will not download from any site if you have not paid for the right to use them. Secondly, there are plenty of free Antivirus programs on this site that do just as good of a job, and in my opinion, are easier on the machine. Here are a few you can check out. Others will post their preferences, but I always liked Avast because it verbally told me when it found something.
    If you are hell bent on keeping Norton's, you will need to upgrade your Operating System to 2000 or higher, or pay the subscription fee.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avast_Home_Edition_d1968.html
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/AVG_Free_Edition_d886.html
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/AntiVir_Personal_Edition_d955.html

7. Insomniac

Welcome to MajorGeeks.

You should really start a separate thread, anyway, you need a current subscription in order to use the virus definition.

Either renew Norton, or remove it and try one of the free Antivirus programs like AVG, AVAST or AntiVir.

8. suek

suek Private E-2

Re: Can not installl Norton on computer because of another antivrus already on comput

>>You should really start a separate thread, anyway, you need a current subscription in order to use the virus definition.>>

I'm up a creek, in other words. Ok...
    I'll check out the programs you both recommend.... It just makes me a bit nervous stepping off a well tread path!
    Didn't think it was that far from the other person's problem - no doubt I'll get the hang of what to post where in due time.
    Thank you...
    SueK

9. Insomniac

You will need to uninstall Norton if you want to try the others.

You should never have more than one AntiVirus installed.

10. Truth By Definition

Oh boiy I sure went and did it this time. I just don't know what I did. This is my first majore compuetr problem.

So I installed the anit virus that was posted up above.
    I made the back up but misread the suggestion and made another back up
    after I deleted all the things (what do you call what comes up?) that came up listed.

Now I can run internet explorer and MSN messenger.

Luckily I had downloaded Mozilla Firefox and by the grace of god it let me on the internet.

When I try to run Internet Explorer it says it cannot find WININET.DLL

When I try to run MSN Messenger the message that comes up says "The application has failed to start because WININET was nor found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I don't know what else I may have done.
    Is there anymore information I can try to find that would help diagnose my problem?

11. Insomniac

Do you have System Restore you can use?

If not, and you have your Windows CD, try System File Checker (Start, Run and type in sfc /scannow ) (There is a space after sfc ).

12. Truth By Definition

Thanks for that super quick reply!

I"ve heard that there is a system restore on windows that kind of takes a picture (per say) so you can always go back to that point but I don't know how to find it.

I don't have the Windows XP CD because my girlfriends father gave us this computer and he's stationed in Kuwait right now.

Does it have to be the same copy of Windows Xp or can I borrow a copy?

I also don't have Plug ins what ever they are.
    Because I did'nt have those I couldn't get some pictures on a site I go to all the time but it gave me the option to download them.

13. Truth By Definition

Just for fun I ran my AVG Free Edition antivirus and in the window all these registry files came up.
    I wonder if I can pull them out of this AVG and re install them?

14. Truth By Definition

After the AVG scan was complete I went into the virus vault (Quarentine) and found the WININET.DLL that I was looking for. It is infected.

I tried to reinstall it but now that it but it would n't work so I had to put it back in the vault.

AVG tells me it's uncleanable.

I tried to use my system restore point but that will not work either.

15. Insomniac

You can download another copy of wininet.dll HERE.

It goes in your System32 folder.

16. Truth By Definition

I went to the sirte got the .DLL but I need a ZIP file or program.
    Is it possible to get one of those for free?
    Can I use a copy of Windows XP that is not mine?

"Files that are requiored to run Windows to run properly have been replaced by unreconized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files."

This is the message on my computer right now if that helps.

Thanks

17. Insomniac

If you have your XP CD, try System File Checker.

Start, run and type in sfc /scannow (there is a space after sfc )

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds