Limited/No Internet Connectivity after Win XP reinstall

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slider68, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Slider68

Slider68 Private E-2

Hello all :)

I am working on a friends old compaq dc525s pc. I did a reinstall of windows xp sp2. I have the HP XP SP2 No restore plus cd.

Installation went as planned. I've updated all drivers from hp webiste. (no errors in device manager), but I cannot get a ip address. It is not my work network, the router here, is handing out ip addresses no problem. (this part is confirmed)

I have done a winstock reset. All drivers installed. I have tried both DHCP, and a static address. I have tried with or without IEEE auth enabled.

I am stuck on what I should try next,so any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

More background info please, like what problems did Windows have originally that led to the decision to wipe/reinstall?

Have you looked for errors relating to this in Windows Application and System logs in Computer Management?

In IE, Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN settings, UNcheck the 'Automatically detect ... ', Ok your way out, reboot and test.

3. Slider68

Slider68 Private E-2

The pc was running Windows Last XP.

Yes. Their is no obvoius issues. I just finished the install, and installed all drivers, I get a connection but get a 169.254 address. Also tried with a static address, with the proper addressing scheme for the network, including all correct dns address, and end up with the same result.

Done. To no avail.

Just to add to the information, this PC has 3 nics. 1 onboard, to 2 additional. All devices are recognized, and error free in device manager, and none of the 3 will pick up a ip address, to allow for full connectivity...

Thanks for you help on this :)

4. satrow

Hmm, first grab a known good ethernet cable from a working machine ;)

Check you have the correct Gateway set. Check you have the necessary Windows Services running.

Fire up MSInfo32 to check for problem hardware.

5. Slider68

Slider68 Private E-2

Just to update you, on other solutions I have tried.

I just installed a brand new Ethernet adapter 10/100 Mbps PCI Bus, Installed the driver for it with the provided floppy disk, and was still unable to retrieve a ip address from my dhcp.
    I am able to connect new pc's, and laptops currently, and they receive an address, so I'm led to believe it is an issue within WinXP.
    The think that is stumping me, is , it is a fresh install.

Have tried different Cat5 cables also. All networking related windows services seem to be running.

The only thing I am unsure of at this point, is your suggestion on firing up MSinfo32

6. satrow

Start > run > msinfo32

Hmm, this reminds me of a motherboard I have here, it does connect, actually gets an IP, might load 1 page per 12 minutes or so. I even connected a USB NIC and had exactly the same results = motherboard faulty.

How about trying a LiveCD? I'm pretty sure as your PC seems to be standard hardware that it should fully test the hardware for you - if it can't connect, it's broken :(

7. Slider68

Slider68 Private E-2

Ok. Now I am really stumped.

I have 3 different pc's/laptops that cannot connect to my network. I have 8 machines total, the other 5 are running windows vista and 7, and they are able to receive a ip address, but all the machines running Windows xp cannot get a ip address.

Router is a Dlink DIR-130

This is blowing my mind!!! :mad

8. satrow

Ok, try it from scratch, turn off the router and disconnect the Vista and W7 PC's. Restart the router and connect the XP machines one at a time.

9. Slider68

Slider68 Private E-2

Update..
    I have solved the issue.

I had a some laptop's with wireless, able to connect to the wireless router on the network (they were running xp), so I was able to localize the problem to a cisco switch. A simple reboot of the switch solved the problem, and the pc was able to contact the dhcp server once again..

Thank you for your assistance!

10. satrow

No problem, thanks for reporting back with your fix :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds