Can't delete file

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rykard, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Rykard

Rykard Private E-2

Hi,
    I am trying to delete a file xx.asf. When I try to delete it the os says it is discovering the file for recycling?? I can see the file in 'dos' but can't delete it from there either.

i am running win 7 pro 64bit..

how am i best to delete this file?

thanks in advance
    Rich

2. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

If normal way can't delete the file try using a file shredder to see if that will delete it.

3. Rykard

Rykard Private E-2

file shredder?

4. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

5. Rykard

Rykard Private E-2

cheers sikvik, will run this tonight when i get home

6. Rykard

Rykard Private E-2

tried that download , didn't work, anyone recommend anything else?

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you are familiar with linux, you can run a live distro, find the file and delete using linux.
    I had to do that several times with 0 byte files on my desktop that no windows program could budge.
    I use a small distro (doesn't take long to download) called Porteus.
    http://www.porteus.org/

8. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Have you tried a restart? Sometimes a file or folder won't delete but after restarting, there's no difficulty with getting rid of it.

Another possibility is to try Unlocker - I've used that successfully on some files that won't shift. After installing Unlocker, right click on the file and choose Unlocker from the menu. Change the "No action" option to Delete and then press OK.

Having said that, if it's on a flash drive, I usually have trouble with files when the File System seems to have run into trouble and find that a disk check resolves the problem and if that doesn't, then a Format does. If this is on your hard drive, you might want to run a disk check just to be sure the drive isn't failing (another problem I've sometimes found prevents deleting files from a flash drive).

9. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

I would normally use plodr suggestion. Sometimes starting in safe mode is another way that will work. Should also run check disk afterward. Normally chkdsk c:/r from a command prompt run as administrator.

10. Rykard

Rykard Private E-2

Hi guys,
    been on vacation...
    tried restart then delete - no joy
    ran check disk - no joy
    will try starting in safe mode
    I'm not familiar with linux unfortunately

11. Rykard

Rykard Private E-2

Hi guys,
    safemode sorted it. took me a while to get into sm though lol

thanks for the help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds