Partial Internet Connection:confused

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Jun 23, 2014.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Hello

I have a weird problem with my PC. It is a Hewlett Packard s5770uk-m x64 based PC running Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1.

I have just run Windows Update and updated Adobe Reader; therefore, I know the PC has an internet connection. However my preferred browser Firefox is behaving as if there's no internet connection. That was the first programme I found behaving as if there was no connection to the net. So, I tried Internet Explorer and that too behaved as if there was no internet connection. As I was generally just updating stuff I tried Apple Software Update and Belarc Advisor: both said I did not have an Internet connection.

It appears to me that the machine is connected to the internet because some programmes have established a connection with whatever remote servers in order to update. I know there is no problem with my wifi router because all other devices using it are connecting to the net with no problem.

Now I do not know if the following is pertinent but I will give the information as it might be. I decided that I no longer wanted Iobit Advanced SystemCare, Comodo Internet Security, Comodo Dragon and PriviDog so I uninstalled them using Revo's free uninstaller. Afterwards I switched on Window's Firewall and selected the recommended settings. Consequently, I wonder if Windows Firewall is not set up correctly or may be removing the mentioned software has resulted in some software conflict.

Unfortunately I do not know how to resolve this problem and would gratefully appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

mark59:)

2. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

No one else has offered you suggestions yet so here's mine.

I've done some poking around and the upshot seems to be that Revo can't be used to uninstall Comodo Internet Security (CIS) on a 64-bit system and I'm guessing you now have a conflict between the Windows firewall and Comodo. You have a 64-bit system and the advice at Comodo says that you should use Add/Remove programs:
    http://forums.comodo.com/install-se...nstall-cis-to-avoidfix-problems-t58620.0.html (last part of point 3)

I strongly suggest disabling the Windows firewall, reinstalling CIS and then uninstalling via Add/Remove. Then you can try using the Windows firewall again and see what happens.
    How To Uninstall Programs

How to check for a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  3. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Hello chookers and thank you for your post, it sounds as if that's a good solution which I shall try. If it does not work I will post again to ask the forum for further advice. Did you notice during your poking around if Comodo had a removal tool? I know that sometimes Add/Remove Programs, Revo free unistaller and other unistaller software does not always completely remove all traces of a programme; therefore, sometimes software companies provide either a piece of software that completely removes the application or they give a list of files and/or registry entries that might still be on your PC and to manually delete. If you do not post back saying you found such a tool I will have a look on Comodo's web site. I googled "completely remove comodo internet security" but did not find anything. Thanks once again for your help.

4. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I am having a problem with solving this issue. I have turned off Windows Firewall. Even though I have done this I cannot get either browser to recognise that the PC is connected to the internet.

So, I downloaded Comodo Internet Security to my other PC. I then went to transfer it to my memory stick but it is too large. I then compressed it into a zip file but it is still too large to put on my memory stick.

Consequently, I cannot download Comodo Internet Security to the computer on which it is required and I cannot transfer it from the computer on which it is downloaded.

I am now at a loss as to how I can solve this issue.

When I could not connect to the internet with my browser a dialogue box asked if I wanted Windows to check for a solution. Well that is one of the most misleading things I have ever encountered. Never, ever has Windows found a solution whenever a computer dialogue box says Windows will look for a solution. I ran it nevertheless but as per usual it failed to come up with a solution.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

There must be a reason you cannot transfer CIS using a CD?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The latest version of Commodo Internet Security as I found here
    Code:
    http://filehippo.com/download_comodo
    is under 220MB. Just how small is your stick?
    My very old sticks are 256MB and it would fit on them. Most others I have range from 1GB to 64GB.

7. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

But I can't access the Net using my broswer so I cannot download it directly to the PC on which I need it.

It's 116 MB. It's quite old

I have a newer one, which I think is 4 GB; however, it's currently AWOL.

8. plodr

Perhaps you mean 128 MB advertised size?
    Sizes started a 8MB, 16MB, 32MB, 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB and finally 1GB (1024MB)

I downloaded it from the link above to a USB stick.

You can't install it on one PC and expect to move everything to a different PC - that won't work.

So, I guess, the cheapest solution, is to buy a larger USB stick.

9. cosman25

cosman25 Private E-2

Sounds like you may have some proxy settings stuck in there. Have you checked to see if your LAN settings are set to Automatically detect settings?

10. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

There is no size on it. I got the size from My Computer where I right clicked on it and under Properties it said the space on it was 116 MB. There's nothing else on it.

That is exactly what I wanted to do only there is not enough space on mine.

I know. I didn't, I haven't and I won't. I only downloaded the installation file.

11. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

They weren't set to automatically detect settings. I've changed to automatically detect settings but that hasn't solved the problem. A further symptom is that Firefox used to open immediately when I clicked on it but now it doesn't open immediately; it's taking approximately 3 minutes between clicking on its icon and the browser actually opening.

12. cosman25

cosman25 Private E-2

IIRC FireFox has separate Proxy settings from IE which uses. I would check those as well if you haven't already.

Just out of curiosity, what is the message that you receive when you open a web browser?

It may be time to try and restore Windows from a restore point to before you used Revo Uninstaller.

13. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

It was the settings in Firefox that I changed. That was the browser I was trying to get working; therefore, I woud not have changed the IE settings.

When Firefox eventually opens it has a moving circular animation and says "Connecting". Then that stops and I get an error message. The error message I am reveiving is:

Google just happens to be the site I have Firefox set to open with. I could change the URL for Google to any other and the message is the same. I've tried to access other sites from Firefox with the same result.

I shall try that. If that does not work then I shall post again to report the current status and seek more advice.

14. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I have just restored the affected PC using System Restore as per the advice provided in Post #12. In fact, I am writing this post on that PC.:)

I don't know why I always forget that most useful of problem solvers: System Restore.:-o

I am now going to the tattooist's to have Remember System Restore tattooed on to my forehead.:-D

Now back to square one, i.e. uninstalling Comodo et al. using Add/Remove Programs.:tired

15. plodr

STOP! Using add/remove to eliminate any security program is wrong. They are so deeply entrenched that you end up with bits and pieces and a partly functioning computer.
    Find a removal tool from Comodo.
    I checked AppRemover but it only supports Comodo av removal.

16. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

May I refer you to Post #2 in this thread.

No Comodo files left on my PC - I've done a search.

Opened Regedit: I have NOT changed anything. I cannot find anything called Comodo there.

My PC is now functioning correctly since I followed the advice is posts ##2 and 12.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds