will a desktop rescue disk work for a laptop?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dajamster, Jun 27, 2014.

1. dajamster

dajamster Private E-2

I'm running windows 7 on both. I have a dell insperion that will not boot - it says that the bootmgr is missing. I have heard (read) that a rescue disk from any windows 7 will work.

So I've made a rescue disk from my emachines desktop, and it has bootmgr on it. I've made it as far as System Recovery Options, but don't know where to go from there. The functions that work ask for either an image or a driver, and I don't know which function, which file or where to look.

My options are: c: OS
    d: recovery
    m: dellutility
    n: recovery
    x:boot
    z: repair disc

Thanks in Advance,
    Jamie

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I don't know the eMachines disks at all but from a Windows one the options are to System recovery and then "repair your Computer" and then Startup Repair and see if that helps.

From your list recovery seems a good option.... but Dell PC and eMachines recovery disk, I don't know how they will work together.

If not then boot to the repair disk and choose the command prompt option then type Bootrec.exe and that should repair the boot manager

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Which model of Dell Inspiron? It may have a recovery partition on it.

But, since you created a rescue disk, reboot the Dell and go into BIOS to set the optical drive ahead of the hard drive in the boot sequence. Re-boot with the rescue disk in the optical drive. When the screen comes up to install Windows, choose to repair and go from there. The rescue disk is repairing/replacing Windows components and it doesn't matter what make or model of computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds