Software CD Won't Install on Windows 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by AloisD, Jul 25, 2014.

1. AloisD

AloisD Private E-2

hi, i have a great software program i use for business. my old computer died (xp pro 64-bit) so i purchased a new dell pc (windows 8.1). problem is, that software won't install from the cd. i get the windows message "this app can't run on your pc, for a version that will, check with the software mfr". compounding matters, the software is outdated, the company is now in germany, nothing on their web site, and they are difficult to contact. how do i get that program to install? i've tried properties/compatibility/etc. that doesn't work. i see another suggestion "use installer cleanup utility". am afraid to try that with new pc. does anyone here have any ideas or suggestions? if there is way, i know this forum is the place to come up with it. the program is called "etransform 2000" by "mips dataline technologies". there is a freeware version of it on the web, but it is version 1.0, and i have 3.0. i have done a ton of internet searches and haven't come up with a solution yet. can anyone help??? thanks!

2. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

I haven't used Windows 8 so I'm not sure whether the following applies to your situation (I'm using Win7). Run the executable installer in troubleshooting mode by right clicking on it and choosing "Troubleshoot Compatibility" from the popup menu. This should present you with the opportunity to run the program in XP compatibility mode.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Yes as rusty says run the troubleshooter or if the CD autoruns when you enter it in the drive, then access the CD via Windows Explorer and run the setup.exe from there as some older executables fall foul of the enhanced security of Win8.

What you could also try is to copy the contents of the CD to a folder on your HDD and then right click the setup.exe and run as Administrator (or can use compatibility modes if that doesn't work) and see how you get on.

4. AloisD

AloisD Private E-2

thanks for the info, guys. i tried compatibility troubleshooting on the pc with windows 8, and it came back with xp service pack 3 settings. but when i hit "test" there was no response, and when i tried those settings anyway, it didn't help. i still got the same original windows error message that the app can't be installed. i also tried the program using compatibility troubleshooting on my laptop with windows 7 home premium. that came back with xp service pack 2 settings, but instead of "test" asked me to "start" the program. when i did, there was no response - just like during "test" on my pc with windows 8 - and when i tried the recommended settings anyway, came back with a windows error message "incompatible application detected !". lastly, i tried compatibility troubleshooting the program on my old hard drive - connected to my laptop. that also came up with with xp service pack 2 settings and asked me to "start" the program. this time though i could start the program. but it wasn't the cd setup file i troubleshot, because the program is already installed on that hard drive, it was the application file in the program folder. also, even though i could run that file, i couldn't run the whole program, because there is a database function to it, and i don't think the database function is in the application file. so when i tried to run the database, i got an error message from the software program saying there was an "error while trying to initiate the data base engine." in any case, i don't think running the whole software program on my old hard drive is a viable option, because i need the program on a newer computer - ideally, my pc, but at the very least, my laptop. the bottom line to this all seems to be that the program doesn't want to be easily made compatible. i don't know if there are any other options, are there? i just don't understand why it will run on windows xp pro but not on 7 or 8.

5. AloisD

AloisD Private E-2

okay, i figured out a way to do it. i set up a virtual machine on my windows 8 pc, then installed xp pro. now the problem is how work in that machine, for example, increasing the window size, which is currently stuck at 3" x 3". if anyone has experience with that, i'd appreciate some tips. thank you.

6. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

7. AloisD

AloisD Private E-2

actually, i've installed hyper-v manager and virtual box. haven't tried vmware yet. but now the problem i'm having is i don't have the product key anymore.

so i went back to trying to open the program folder on windows 8. i am now able to do this but because it's only the program folder from the old computer, and not actually "installed" as the application, i am having trouble running it. "an error occurred while attempting to initialize the borland database engine (error $2108)"

is there a way of transforming the program folder as it exists when installed properly on a computer...to...the working application, that is, doing an end run around using the cdsetup file?

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Do you mean you don't have your XP product key or the application's key? No one here can help with the latter but if it's the XP key you need it should be on a COA sticker on the case of your old machine if you still have it. There is plenty of VM help available right here should you need it, though I'm with DOA - VMware is the best.

9. AloisD

AloisD Private E-2

i don't have the product application key. that's why i have been trying to work with the existing program folder off of my old hard drive. i copied the folder to my new windows 8 pc. but like i said, i can't run the application from the program folder - i can just click on one file at a time. that's why i was wondering how you get an application working, if you don't have a desktop shortcut that contains the whole program, and just have the program folder, which has all the items in it separately.

second question, now that you brought it up: why is vmware the best? of all the internet searching i did, everything returned on hyper-v and virtual box. i got both of them running, but couldn't figure out how to make the box bigger than 4" x 3", or whatever small size it is. can you make the box bigger?

10. Earthling

You simply won't get anywhere without the installation file and licence key. That file not only created the Program Files folder you still have but also created a stack of registry entries without which the program cannot function.

You can stretch the Hyper-V screen by pointing at the bottom right corner and dragging it. I have used Hyper-V, Virtual Box and VMware and they all do the job but imo VMware is the easiest to setup and use.

11. AloisD

AloisD Private E-2

earthling, thanks for a very helpful post. not what i wanted to hear, but very enlightening, thank you

12. AloisD

AloisD Private E-2

how about using a virtual machine to run the operating system and software from the old hard drive? i saw that on another site. is that possible? to install the whole other hard drive?

13. AloisD

AloisD Private E-2

okay, sorry! i found a serial number for the software program on the internet. i am installing it on my virtual machine right now. i will report on the results. i still can't figure out how to enlarge the box/window. i tried pulling on the lower right corner but it only stretches the window not the operating box! :)

14. Earthling

Which VM system are you using? Enlarging the screen is possible in all three but the method varies.

15. AloisD

AloisD Private E-2

i'm using virtual box. i finally was able to enlarge the box. i also installed and am able to use the software program now.

but now every time i start virtual box i get an error: Error In supR3HardenedWinReSpawn . if i fiddle around with settings, i can usually get it started eventually, but there seems to be no logic in what i'm doing.

also, the mouse pointer shakes slightly and jumps when i am in that vm. it doesn't move as smoothly as when i am in windows 8. is that a characteristic of vm's?

16. Earthling

No it isn't, but VMs have to appropriate resources from the host system so take a look at the VM settings and check how much RAM has been allocated to the VM. For XP it should be an absolute minimume of 1GB but 2GB would be better, depending on how much RAM your computer has in total.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds