Family Archive Viewer 6.0 to 11.0

Discussion in 'Software' started by mdietz39, Jul 27, 2014.

1. mdietz39

mdietz39 Private First Class

Once again I come to the experts for advice. I have received several genealogy files in Family Archive Viewer 6.0 format. When I download the latest version of FAV it is version 11.0. They are not compatible. When I try to download a version 6.0 my virus blocker (Vipre) says it has a trojan in it.

Is there any software available to transfer the v6 to the v11 format?

Thank you very much
    Michael Dietz

2. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

What version of what OS are you running now?

3. mdietz39

Win 8.1. I know that v6 of FAV was for ancient Win 95.

Thanks for the reply.
    Michael

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Found this
    so I'm not sure what version 6 would have run on!

Apparently v6 was for Family Tree maker for DOS!
    http://family-archive-viewer.software.informer.com/6.0/

What is the extension on the files?

5. rustysavage

You don't even know if those files are for Win95, they could have been created by a DOS version of the program. You're best bet is to get v6.0 installed and then try running it in legacy compatibility mode using the Windows troubleshooter.

How far did you get toward installing v6.0 ? If you got it installed then you could go to VirusTotal website and scan the files that Vipre AV is reporting as malware. Most likely it's a false positive.

6. mdietz39

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the problem solved. I found an old Genealogy.com CD with the Family Archive Viewer v6 on it. I installed the program from that and got the error from Vipre. I then shut down Vipre and installed the program with no problem. So the stopping was from a false positive.

I will go to the Virus checking site mentioned to verify. At this time all is good, the program is working, and Vipre is back up and running.

Again thank you very much
    Mike

7. mdietz39

As a follow up I did submit the file to Virus Total. The hit ratio was five bad of 45 submissions. That left 40 good reports. And interestingly, Vipre was in the good reports. I am using the latest version of Vipre and the analysis done in Virus Total were all in 2013. So I assume Vipre has improved their detection algorithms which caused the false positive.

Thank you again
    Mike

8. rustysavage

I don't know that I'd call an increase in false positive detections an "improvement" but I get what you're saying. After uploading a file to VirusTotal, it will display the results from the last time the file was scanned. You can always hit the "Reanalyze" button to have VirusTotal scan it again right then as you wait (it's amazing how fast it can scan a file with 50+ scanners). Anyways, thanks for the follow up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds