Frustrated person needs igfxext.exe for XP Pro repair

Discussion in 'Software' started by NAS, Dec 15, 2006.

1. NAS

NAS Private E-2

I'm running XP Pro, SP 2 on a newly installed hard drive. (As an aside, I've been working on this PC since it crashed Nov 21.) I was in the process of getting microsoft updates, when an error message said I needed a file, and to do a repair to fix the problem. When I had initially installed the OS, I had installed all of the drivers.

During the repair, it stopped and said

The file igfxext.exe on Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver is needed.
    Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

It provides an example:
    c:\windows\drivers\intel\graphics\win2000

When I look under c:\windows\drivers\intel\graphics,
    there are no files listed there. (??)

I was reading another thread on this same topic, and the advice to skip this step seemed to work. I tried it, but the repair would not continue, and the same message came up again. I've searched for the driver at Intel support, MS support, and on the web, but can't find a place to download the driver.

How can I fix this?

2. NAS

NAS Private E-2

I've been reading and searching since I posted this. I finally found and downloaded the driver to a travel drive.

NOW the problem is that my computer doesn't read the travel drive:
    My computer has
    3 1/2" floppy a:
    local disk c:
    DSK1_VOL2 d: What is THIS?
    XPSP1a_ENG_PRO e:

How do I get the computer to read the travel drive?

Should I post this somewhere else?

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Go to your mobo manufacturers website, and download all the chipset drivers.

Also download the display drivers etc. After unzipping them etc. Burn them to a cd.

igfxext.exe is a process installed alongside Intel based network hardware and is the Intel Common User Interface for Network Adapters.

Then, when Windows setup ask for the files. Take out the Windows disk, and insert your drivers disk. Tell windows where to look. Once the driver is loaded, replace your Windows disk. You may need to do this several times.

4. NAS

NAS Private E-2

I downloaded everything I could find, but there was nothing to unzip.
    When I put the CD in so setup could find the files it needed, it said
    File not found.

OK, so I'm resigned to do a complete reinstallation, but

How do I get out of the setup program?

I can't just reboot with the installation CD in place, because setup continues.

Help, I'm stuck in a loop!

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

If, you pressed skip, and the computer seems to hang, do the following:

Press: Shift + F10

Type in: taskmgr (press enter).
    Give us the list of tasks, within processes tab. Also, a sort by cpu usage would be nice. :)

6. NAS

NAS Private E-2

Thanks for the tip. The computer didn't hang, though.
    All in all, after another 2 hours today, after a month of
    every day spending every spare minute on fixing the PC,
    including running things through the night, I threw in the
    towel and took it to a repair shop. Should be finished in
    a few days, and now I have time to do Christmas cards
    and wrapping presents. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds