Uninstall Remove Windows XP and XP Home Edition

Discussion in 'Software' started by STUDIOPRO, Sep 17, 2007.

1. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Hi to :waveall!I am totally new at this, so please bear with me..:confused
    I am in desperate help with a tech problem and I am hoping that perhaps one of you wonderful people can help.

My PC was crashing and freezing up, and I attempted a c: format, but PC wouldn't allow me...The first OPS I had was Windows XP Pro...I then got a trial version of Windows XP Home Edition, --have to re-install eevery 28 days. However, Home Edition is the only one that will pick up drivers, modem, etc...

Is there anyway of removing multi OPS? I would like to remove both versions and start fresh...Windows XP Pro I cannot even access. :cry:cry

A huge thank you in advance, for any suggesstions at all!

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Some clarification is needed.
    Xp Pro ...this is a cd that you have not installed on any other PC?
    If so, and you have the install key, then when you put it into the cd drive and reboot, do you get the option to boot from cd?
    If so, do so.
    You will get past the agreement page then you should have it showing you what partitions/operating systems are on the computer ....if you have partitions, remove them and have it do a complete format (NTFS).
    Once that is done, the install should continue without problems.

So tell us what you have done and what is happening.:)

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

4. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Hi, and thank you for responding!
    Both the XP Pro and XP Home Edition have been used previoulsy on another PC, but I do have the keys....Home Edition is only a trial, and I have to reload it, every 28 days, plus it is the only one that recognizes my ISP connection, mic and speakers. I installed it over the XP Pro, and I have tried to delete the partion that XP pro is on as well as the partion that the HE is on, but without luck...all I accomplished was having it delete my FAT, but was able to format one NTFS, but still have both OPS on here....I ran a scan on it and found over 325 errors in file path, registry keys, invalid dll's, fragments of uninstalled programs, etc.
    Is there any way of wiping out everything and staring fresh? Command prompt perhaps in dos mode or safe mode?

Thanxs again!

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As Tim W said, you need to format your hard drive to get a clean installation.
    Check the BIOS and set the Boot Sequence to CDROM first.
    Then put the windows xp cd in, , and when you get the installation stage, --At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.
    Read the End-User License Agreement, and then press F8.
    Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP. Unless you have more than one partition this will be C:
    Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup.
    This will get rid of the dual operating system you have on the same partition,causing all the errors.

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I thought you might need more information, so I dragged this out of my saved archives -
    If an existing Windows XP installation is detected, you are prompted to repair it. Press ESC (do not repair).
    All existing partitions and unpartitioned spaces are listed for the hard disk. Use the arrow keys to select the partition where you want to create a new partition, and then press D to delete an existing partition , then you need to press C to create a new partition using unpartitioned space.
    If you press D to delete an existing partition, you have to then press L (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition.
    When any/all the partitions are deleted, you can then select the resulting unpartitioned space and then press C to create the new partition.
    Then just press ENTER to create the partition using the maximum size.
    If you want to install Windows XP, use the arrow keys to select the partition you want to install Windows XP on, and then press ENTER.

Select the format option that you want to use for the partition, and then press ENTER.
    You can choose to Format the partition by using the NTFS file system
    If you are going to play about reinstalling , again, and you see the option for the fat file system, then I would Format the partition by using the FAT file system (easier to reformat, when changing operating systems.
    You may also see:
    "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)"
    Most people choose: "Format the partition by using the NTFS file system".
    After Setup formats the partition, follow the on-screen instructions to continue Setup until Windows XP fully installs.
    I hope that explains better.

7. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Thank you for the advice!...I will try. What is BIOS?
    Will the instructions u gave me erase all of the garbage on the PC that Spybot scanned for. I could not afford to purchase, and not sure if there is freeware/shareware for a similar program.

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

When your computer starts, keep pressing del, and this will take you into the BIOS - THIS IS WHERE ALL THE SETTINGS FOR YOUR COMPUTER ARE STORED.
    You do not need to know much more, at this time, about it.
    What happens, is that you are presented with a blue screen , with the computer settings on it.
    At the top you will see tabs indicating different settings.
    You need to click the tab at the top until you see boot menu.
    It will probably show 1st boot device, as floppy - click on this ,and if you then click page up button on the keyboard, it will change - press the page up button until you see cd rom -leave it at that, then move the arrow to the top of the page, and press f10, press y to confirm saving the change, and then press ok, or enter and the computer will restart and look for your cd , first, as that will take you to the setup, as I previously described.
    Also , YES, this will clean off the hard drive by formatting (wipes off access to previous operating systems, and gives you a fresh, clean, start.
    Ther are different ways to clean the hard drive, if you are getting rid of a computer, but this is all you need to know to have a fresh, clean install of XP.

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sometimes the button to get to the Bios pages is F2,depending on the motherboard in your pc- prees del, or F2 as soon as the computer start button is pressed , as it can go past you very quickly.

10. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Thank u for your suggesstions! I will try to as all of u have suggested this weekend, and hope I do it right!

I would like to do a search and recover first tho'. Does anyone know of a freeware program for it? I cannot afford the high priced ones.
    Thanxs!:wave

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

12. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Hi!
    Thanks to all of the replies to my requests! I am getting ready to try all that u mentioned and hope I am sucessful :confused...Will reply tommorrow if it I do it correctly....Wish me luck! :wave

PS> Soory I have been using wrong icon! Grrrr! :eek:

13. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Hi....Itried everything, but only Windows XP Home Edition will pick up my dial up/phone line. I loaded Windows XP Pro and everything worked but the phone line/dial up....I lost my FAT somehow before the last install of Windows XP Home Edition, so now D: is a root directory...what can I do now?

I know this has a remote connection to ask another for help...is this an option?:confused

Thank you,
    Kennedy

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would not allow remote - too many eyes-
    It seems that all you basically have problems with, is the modem.
    Drivers for modems can be tracked down, via another computer, burned to cd, and then installed on your computer.
    I also suggest that you download Everest home 220
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    Everest will tell you what modem you have, and often gives a driver link.Also burn that to a cd, and instal on your computer.
    Is the D: your cd/dvd drive, or another partition - if its your cd/dvd drive, we can uninstall and reinstall that - If its another partition, we can make that logical to become part of the C: again.Iwill give more on that, later.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  15. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Hi...I don't have any way of burning a CD....D: is actually the other partion...it used to have C; as my NTFS and D: as my FAT, someohow I screwed up the instructions and deleted it.

Should I run the PCInspector file recovery or download the Everest program and run it?

Thanks!

16. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Okay, this is gonna be a long reply, and it is all definately 'greek' to me:confused.....Maybe one of u will understand it....I hope!
    I ran the pcinspector recovery and this is the info I got:

Windows D: (4.02GB)-bad parameter in boot sector: bytes per sector(0)=0!

Under preview of logical drive:
    Physical sector 63
    Total sectors 8417997
    Sectors per cluster 8
    FAT type detected FAT32
    OEM name MSDOS.5.0
    Volume label no name

no name fixed disk #1 ---See above
    no name fixed disk #2 --access violation at address 004BB163 in module 'filerevorey.exe' read of address 00000000.

no name of C: ---same as above --first part
    no name of D:
    Physcial 0
    Total 0
    Sectors 0
    Fat dected: none
    OEM - blank
    Volume label -blank

Physical drives
    fixed #1 4.02 GB
    fixed #2 4.02GB
    Windows C: 4.02
    Windows D: 4.02
    Windows F: 6.00

Hardware: File System Total Size Freespace
    A:
    C: FAT32 4.01GB 2.45GB
    D: 0.00GB 0.00GB
    E: -is showing the disk/cd icon
    F: --same didn't know I had an F:

Software:
    Windows version 5.1 (Build 2600)
    Windows mode: Windows NT
    Swap File size: 467MB
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System directory: C:\Windows\System32

System drive and root are both C:

so, I realize that was more info than anyone needed, but was hoping someone could translate into what to do....thanxs in advance!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  17. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

O.K
    To sort out the D: Partition, .........
    First of all it shows errors, so as you are learning, try the easy way...
    Press Start, then RIGHT CLICK My Computer , and click manage. Next in the left pane of that window, use the normal left click on disk management , NOW RIGHT CLICK THE D Partition in the right hand pane of that window -- LEFT CLICK PROPERTIES, LEFT CLICK the tools tab, in tools choose the first item, ERROR checking, left click check now. in the little box that comes up put a tick in both boxes, to automatically fix errors, and bad sectors.
    You will probably be shewn a little bar with exclusive use needed, do you want to run after next restart - click yes, close all open boxes, and restart your computer.
    On restart Windows will check and repair that partition only.
    If you want to reinstall XP Home on the D; partition, all you need to do is insert the XP home CD, and follow the instructions as before. but choose to install it on D:, AND LEAVE OTHER PARTITIONS INTACT.
    If you want to see if there is anything on the F: partition- in Computer management - Right click F , and choose explore- it will show any files in that partition.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  18. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Hey, thanks so much!...Wow, can't believe I never thought of that part before!
    Will give it a try and then reload and hope it works! ---Will let u know :)

19. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Hi....It didn't work....tried several times but no luck.:cry

I am running PC inspecetor to recover photos, but it has been running for 25 hours, ...says D: drive is too corrupted, and it is till only 35%. I had a trial copy of 'Search and Recover" from System Mechanic that I hve, but it is only a trial version, so that didn't work....Is there any freeware that will rescue a hard drive?

I have a CD called PC Med Kit, but I think it too is a trial version and cannot help. It is suppossed to rescue hard drives and reinstall Windows...I don't know what else to try...the computer is my only source of income and am running out of time and money fast....

Any suggestions?
    Thanks for everything so far!

20. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Press Start, then click RUN, then type in CHKDSK /R. (note the space after CHKDSK)
    Same as before, it will probably ask if you want to do it after restart.
    Restart, and Windows will then check and repair, as before, but this time it will do all the partitions before starting, and should find the problem.
    Come back in the next hour, or , so, and I will help more - others may chip in, too, if they come on-line.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  21. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

P C Inspector could take time as it looks for the specific numeric/algarithics to find pictures - imagine being in an enormous maze, and on the line of rubiks cube, and finding your way, - thats why it can take a long time, as it does not look like you would for an actual picture , but for its references.

22. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

When you went to disk management, did you try to explore F:, like I said ?
    You can try the same with D: - Ifyou can see your pictures folder in D: by exploring, you could try copying the WHOLE FOLDER, and paste into a new folder in MY documents in C:
    This way works, under normal circumstances.- I just rechecked to test it -copied a very large folder from my F: drive to My Documents in C:
    This is one of the benifits of several partitions.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  23. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Hi....yes I checked F: it is where my Netscape ISP installed itself...didn't even know I had an F;

I did click on D: There were no photos, ...but it is full with installed programs, no pictures or anything else, and it asked me to format....I have not tried yet but perhaps one of the installed rescue programs repaired it enough to do so, if not, I am going to try the CHK /R.

If I don't mess anything up and can get online, I will recheck this....thank u for ur continuing help. I will admit this is a terror, but at least I am learning.

Thank you and I will let u know what has occurred, as soon as possible.

24. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

CHK /R.-- I hope you meant CHKDSK /R...............
    Bt the way, the only reason that I can see that your Netscape isp is on F: IS THAT IT INSTALLED IN THE WRONG PLACE, WHEN INSTALLING IN XP PRO........
    Try reinstalling, in XP Pro partition (C:), you need to watch as it installs, and make sure that it installs in C:--- That could be one reason for your not being able to get on the net with XP Pro partition (may not be the modem)- just that it installed on F: instead of C:

25. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Yes, I did run the CHKDSK /R ....misspelled it in my reply

I am going to attept to reinstall the Windows XP, and not the Home Edition. Even tho' D; is still showing as a NTFS, I refomatted it under FAT. Perhaps since I had lost D as a FAT, like it was previously installed, it will show me the options now to install XP on a my C: NTFS and all will go well. My only concern is that just XP will not pick up the modem driver....that is what was causing all of the problems before.
    Just XP Pro wouldn't detect modem, but Home Edition did...If XP Pro won't work, I will reinstall Home Edition so that I may get online and perhaps find a link to the modem driver.

Are there places that are free to search for modem driver links? I tried Eversest, like someone suggessted, but it was giving me a corrupted message, and I cannot afford the new version.

Will get back with u as soon as poosible...

26. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If Everest was corrupted, it could be a bad download - you can try uninstalling and reinstalling a fresh download.
    Did you go to Everest, Devices, PCI devices to look for it ?
    Otherwise Belarc Advisor, free version
    http://majorgeeks.com/download1385.html

27. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Kodo has a list of driver places, but I am not sure which are free - you would have to look - see if they have the driver, then go to the modem manufacturers site with the number, and download free.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8870

28. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

I went to the Belarc Advisor site, but am confused, just as with the other site...how do u find out what modem driver is yours and the number?

I have been searching for free driver detect and update drivers...any suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  29. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I usually go to
    http://www.driveragent.com/?PHPSESSID=f84iqvdr1425l0tde985vfkt91
    You have to allow a small addin to have the scan, but although the list should show you modem, and what it is - you have to join, to get it from there - but you should be able to write down the modem reference, then either go to the modem manufacturers site, or to this site from Kodos link- I know you have to join it, but how free it is I don't know , as I use driveragent, myself.
    Balac, and Everest usually give you a link, and a reference to look up - I found it straightforward to go to the link they provided, and the reference the programs gave

http://www.modem-drivers.com/

30. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Have you looked in the XP Professional setup , in devices ?
    If not, try this.
    Press start, then right click My Computer, left click Manage, then in the little window that comes up, click Devices. Click on modem, in the right side list , and see if it shows an exclamation. Double click the modem , and a properties dialogue box will come up. Click update driver, and put your XP home disc in the cdrom, holdong down the control button to stop it running (if it does run, just exit it).
    In the update driver box , click brouse for driver, and brouse to your cdrom. If it installed from there previously, it could be in the i386 folder- brouse to the i386 folder, and click o.k, and see if Windows wil find it, and, if its compatable with XP Pro, it should be able to install it.

31. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Got to go, busy at home - keep trying.

32. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

hi.....this is so very frustrating!

I will try as u suggested about PC finding modem....If I have to look for it on the link u gave me, how do I find the number for it? It's an older Dell Desktop.

I had to load Windows XP Pro Home Edition again, as neither of my Windows XP Pro CD's would work...too many errors during installation....that has never happened before. I cannot keep reinstalling Home Edition every 28 days....

I don't understand why only Home Edition will detect anything.

When I downloaded Netscape it still sent it to F;, even tho I installed on C:

Is there absolutely no way of detecting and rescuing hard drives and drivers, and of course modems? All of the programs I looked at were too expensive.

I have a CD called PC Med Kit...suppossed to re-install Windows and rescue hard drives, but not sure if it is a trial, or how to use...
    HELP! :confused

33. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Okay, I checked the modem and it is says, "Device working properly"

I did speak to the person who loaned me the Windows Home edition, and he said that more than likely when I was in SAFE MODE, DOS MODE, etc, I reset the configurations wrongly...even Netscape claimed the same thing, as when I had DSL, and lost it and reverted back to dial up, Home Edition was the only OS that detected my modem and other drivers. They told me to call DELL, and got pretty much the same answers...

Now I am stuck...how do I reset the correct configurations, as a system restore won't accomplish this....And still can't recover D:

This PC is my only source of income, so taking it to a repair shop is out and getting a new one is out--from a finacial standpoint--...where do I go from here?:confused

34. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It could be a hard drive failing, but if you managed to save the pictures etc: that you wanted - Lets start again. Later we can run a hard drive test to see if it has a problem.
    It would help me if you can post the dell model, and service tag number, and I can try to find as much as I can for you.(drivers etc:)
    To start again, follow these steps:-
    If it is stll set to start from CDROM FIRST, then put your XP Professional cdrom in the cdrom drive, and restart.
    As before,
    If an existing Windows XP installation is detected, you are prompted to repair it. Press ESC (do not repair).
    All existing partitions and unpartitioned spaces are listed for the hard disk. Use the arrow keys to select the F: PARTITION , and then press D to delete that existing partition ,and then press L to confirm that you want to delete the partition.
    Next, select the D:partition, and press D to delete that existing partition ,
    then press L , to confirm that you want to delete the partition.
    Then select the C:partition, and press D to delete that existing partition ,
    then press L (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition.
    When all the partitions are deleted, you can then select the resulting unpartitioned space and then press C to create the new partition.
    Then just press ENTER to create the partition using the maximum size.
    Select the full format option that you want to use for the partition, and then press ENTER.
    As said previously, You can choose to Format the partition by using the NTFS file system, but , If you are going to play about reinstalling , again, and you see the option for the fat file system, then I would Format the partition by using the FAT file system (easier to reformat, when changing operating systems.
    After Setup formats the partition, follow the on-screen instructions to continue Setup until Windows XP fully installs.
    With no other partitions to play with, you should find this stops files being placed on the wrong partition.
    If this fails to install this way, I suspect a hardware problem, and come back and let us know how it goes.
    Before doing more I would appreciate the Dell model, and service number, and I can make other enquiries for you - or, someone else might find it sooner - There are better brains than mine, they all do their best at majorgeeks
    If you feel lucky, you can put your sevice tag and model here, and see for yourself - but I will be about for a little while.
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  35. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Hi...okay, sounds stupid but I don't know where the service tag is, so this information I have gathered...hope it helps. Oh...never recovered photos or my school .txt documents. I have spent countless hours trying to locate a detect and recover utility w/o luck. I did install, what turned out to be a trial version that located them, but would not allow me to save them. I did make a mistake when trying to reinstall Windows in the configuration...

It is showing that I have --when trying to install---
    Partioned space1 4118 {?} --there are 2 of them
    under that is something with an 8 MB {?} --2 of these also
    below it same thing....I deleted both of the partioned spaces, the created new to RAW, then installed on the first RAW

Ok, about the the computer itself:
    DELL Diminsion XPS D233
    Intel Pentium ll processor 233 MHz

When going to my computer, I looked at the hardware info tab and this is what I found...
    Under C:
    Driver version 5.1.2535.0

Under properties I found this:
    NTFS
    FUJITSU MPD3034AT-DISK DRIVE
    MAXTOR 84320D4-DISK DRIVE
    FLOPPY DISK DRIVE - FLOPPY
    NEC CD-ROM DRIVE 28B
    SONY DVD RW DW-U18A

Under properties on D: I found this:
    FAT32
    FUJITSU MPD3034AT-DISK DRIVE
    MAXTOR 84320D4-DISK DRIVE
    FLOPPY DISK DRIVE - FLOPPY
    NEC CD-ROM DRIVE 28B
    SONY DVD RW DW-U18A

Under F:
    Shows as a CD Drive
    File System CDFS
    NEC CD-ROM DRIVE 28B

Did this help at all?
    Thanxs!

36. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You have moved on a little, then.
    The 8mb partitions - one is most likely a disc buffer zone, and the other could have been a Dell backup helping partition - so leave them, but if you have deleted them, its no problem.
    It seems that you are telling me that you have XP now installed on the C: drive, and again, on the D: drive ?
    If so, are they both XP, or, is one XP Professional ?
    I will try to find your drivers, now I know your model,- back shortly.
    Have you not got an E: drive ?- don't worry, if not, just handy to know (like another dvd/cd writer

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  37. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Go to this page to scroll down to the learn how to use drivers, and downloads, and click on the lower line (click here to see video)
    http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=pad&cs=RC1050265
    --------------------------------------------then
    XPS D_
    http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor..._PNT_PII_XPS_D___&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
    ---------------------------------------------------------------then

7 items available - leave Bios off, at this time.
    http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor..._PNT_PII_XPS_D___&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Audio

Communications--3Com - Driver
    Applies to:
    USR 56k Python Controller Modem------
    Network---- click on the cross to expand and choose.

System Utilities----Dell ZZtop Utilities-
    if the image is still on the hard drive- possibly one of those 8mb partitions, this just might help ypu, if you can make a dos disk from it (floppy?)- I am not certain on this, but it could need your XP pro disk to work - if anyone else has more knowledge on this, please jump onboard and help- its a long while since I have done a Dell restore.

As you can see it says you have a USR 56k Python Controller Modem-

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  38. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Its so long ago, that I cannot remember, but I believe the service tag is on the back near psu, something like my old one (I can still remember was Lixxx (numbers omitted))
    And nothing is stupid, like many , some 15/20 years ago, I could have thrown my computer out of the window , in frustration- we all have to learn- if we make a smily on majorgeeks, its in good fun, not taking the mike .
    No matter how foolish it seems, ask the question- 99% of the time its not as silly as it seems.

39. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

baklogic, ...thanks for not making me feel like I didn't have the sense God gave a donut. :)

Yes, it does show that Windows XP Pro Home Edition on both...Yes, I do have a E: but cannot make a DOS disk...

I went to the links you gave me, but I still cannot locate service tag...I think particularly because it is so old. Apparently there is not much for the old Dimension XPS D233, as I could not locate the model on the website...:confused

Not giving hope yet, as I really need this thing to work, and like you said, I wish I could literally throw this out of the window:cry

I wish I could afford a used one, I would...getting custody of my kids, and need the PC to bring in xtra income ASAP.

So, where do I go from here? This is so frustrating and I am running out of time....

40. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

There isn't a pro home edition. It is either Windows XP Home edition or Windows XP Pro edition.
    The Dell XPS D233 is a pentium II computer probably operating at 233MHz and had windows 95 installed with 32MB of RAM. The RAM can only be upgraded to a maximum of 384MB from what I'm finding. Your computer (I assume that it has more than 32MB of RAM) is at the minimum speed for XP: 233MHz and 64MB of RAM. That's probably the reason it is crashing.

As far as drivers go, I use the last free version of a driver backup utility called WinDrivers Backup by JerMar. It has since been replaced by a $$$ called DriverGuide Toolkit. On every computer I have, I run it, ask it to back up the non-microsoft drivers then put these files either on floppies or burn to a CD to archive. If you can't find the free copy (I checked and I believe it is still available for download) send me a PM and I will upload my copy somewhere and send you the link.
    Scan the file to be sure it is clean, before you install it. Let it back up all your drivers and then save them by category: audio in one folder, video in another etc. That way if something doesn't install properly, you can drag the folder with the proper drivers from the floppy to your desktop and point the installer there to get what is needed.

41. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  42. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Dell shows an all model XPS D SERIES- THAT ONE IS FOR UP TO WINDOWS 98.
    When you install , go to accessaries- compatability mode, and you will then opt to instal from a list - scroll down until you see your modem, and click on it.

43. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You can also try this, if that does not work. As it appears that XP Home might have a driver on that CD.
    Assuming you meant that you had XP Pro installed now,
    When Windows has started , and on to the desktop, and all is settled, LEFT click Start, Right click My Computer, LEFT Click Devices, CLICK ON MODEM, WHICH MIGHT SHOW A question mark( ? ), -- CLICK PROPERTIES, CLICK DRIVER, CLICK UPDATE DRIVER, AND WHEN THE WINDOW COMWS UP AND ASKS TO SEARCH , CLICK BROUSE, CLICK ON YOUR CD ROM DRIVE AND --put the XP Home disk in the drive, and it should look in the XP Home CD, for it - . If it does load, when it comes on to install, just click close.
    CLICK ON THE I386 FOLDER, IF IT DOES NOT AUTMATICALLY SEARCH THE xp home DISK.It should find the modem, and install it.
    I am trying to find more, as Dell does not show a later driver, but you may have had a different driver when you were on broadband, which, it seems might not work in dial up.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  44. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Trying to sum up your situation.
    Looking back, you said your modem showed as working o.k.
    Your Netscape seems to be installing on the wrong partition. This seems to me, to more likely to be the problem.
    As Plodr is trying to say, Xp will run with 384 mb of ram,and its a good idea to save your drivers, when they are all installed.
    Plodr, please read all the thread, as STUDIOPRO has said that she is a complete novice, and I know your input will be appreciated, but first , and most important is to get her back on-line.
    The computer was running with XP Pro, but now STUDIOPRO, is no longer on broadband, the dial up is giving her problems- help there is the most urgent.

45. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you look back , at this part of this post, I will try to clarrify, but, unfortunately, I am not the best in this ..........ANY INTERVENTION , OR, CORRECTION BY MAJORGEEKS IS MOST WELCOME---------

GET YOUR NETSCAPE CD.
    PUT IT IN AND WHEN IT WANTS TO INSTALL, LOOK AT THE WHITE LINE IN THE WINDOW TAHAT USUALLY SAYS C: WINDOWS\ TEMP\ ...., OR SIMILAR.
    click on that line and see if the first bit is C:/............
    If this is not, (possibly showing F:/........
    Then click on that line ,and what you need to do is just change the F TO C.
    leave the rest as it is.
    Netscape should then instal on the C: Drive.
    Come back and let us know the following......

Is the Windows on C: fully operational , with, or, without Netscape installed--working, or, not.---Is it XP Professional.

Is the Windows on D: fully operational , with, or, without Netscape installed--working, or, not.I s it XP Professional

Does the modem show up as working in Devices.

ANY GEEKS HELP ON THIS ONE APPRECIATED, AS STUDIOPRO NEEDS TO GET BACK ON-LINE- PLEASE EXPLAIN IT IN AS MUCH NON TECHNICAL DETAIL, AS POSSIBLE- AS I HAVE TO GO OFF-LINE.

46. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Hi...sorry I am being such a pest...am trying to learn tho' and I appreciate your patience with me!

I will try the things you suggessted, and see what happens.

Your right, it is Windows XP Home Edition that picks up the drivers, the Windows XP Pro doesn't.

Yes C:, D:, E; F; and A: [floppy} is working properly and it says the modem is working correctly also. E; is a CD Rom, F; is CD/DVD

How do I send a pm?

A big thank you to all who are helping me work though this! It means more than you could realize!

47. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

For pm information
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=pm&match=all&titlesonly=0

So, you have XP Professional installed correctly , on C:, and, D: ...?
    E: IS CD ROM
    F:IS CD/DVD ROM.
    Modem o.k
    NETSCAPE NOT GETTING YOU ON-LINE .................................??????????????.

Try the Netscape reinstal, as I suggested.
    GET YOUR NETSCAPE CD.
    PUT IT IN AND WHEN IT WANTS TO INSTALL, LOOK AT THE WHITE LINE IN THE WINDOW TAHAT USUALLY SAYS C: WINDOWS\ TEMP\ ...., OR SIMILAR.
    click on that line and see if the first bit is C:/............
    If this is not, (possibly showing F:/........
    Then click on that line ,and what you need to do is just change the F TO C.
    leave the rest as it is.
    Netscape should then instal on the C: Drive.

kEEP GOING, NEARLY THERE

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  48. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

baklogic,

Ok....I have re-read all posts, took notes, and am going to try a reinstall of just the XP Pro and not Home Edition....If I mess up, I will put Home Edition back on, but if I am lucky and all the suggestions work, I should be able to just use the XP Pro, w/o loading the H.E.

PS> Thanks! I've never been a quitter, so yep, I'm hanging in there and will hope for the best! Will let everyone know if it works. :wave

plodr---thanks for your offer..sent u a pm

49. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

:hammer
    Go for it.
    :duck:duck

50. STUDIOPRO

STUDIOPRO Private E-2

Nothing worked....:cry And now it runs incredibly slow.

My D; keeps jumping back and forth to a NTFS and FAT32...still cannot erase E: which is the CD rom, and F: which should be a DVD writer, but don't have software to do so on it....

I ran 2 seperate trial versions of Registry cleaners and each found over 4,000 problems from left over tracks, dll's, etc, but cannot afford one that will clean them. Is there another way? Besides using high priced software, I mean? :confused

It also won't take either Windows XP Pro cd's I have now...only the Home Edition, and it is so difficult to reload it every 28 days. :tired

Does anyone know where I can get an lower cost Windows XP Pro cd, as I cannot burn one? Perhaps mine are corrupted, or it is just the PC itself.

HELP! :banghead

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds