No output to monitor on start-up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bob3690, Feb 5, 2009.

1. bob3690

bob3690 Private E-2

When starting up my PC this morning, I got nothing showing on the monitor except the monitor's own self-test messages. I've tried another monitor with another lead but get the same result.

The PC has 2 dual-monitor graphics cards, although the second card is disabled. I tried hooking up the monitor to the second card to see if I got the start-up BIOS messages, but still nothing. (From a hazy memory all monitors used to show the initial start-up output even when disabled, and switched off again after windows loaded).

I am pretty much stuck for ideas now. Is there anything else I can do?

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I assume no on board video, if you do have it, the video may go there.
    Have an old video card? give that a try
    Check the monitor is set to the correct input
    Try power cycling your monitor after the computer seems up and running

Post your system particulars, esp motherboard, vid cards, power supply, monitor

3. bob3690

bob3690 Private E-2

DOA, Thanks for your reply. The problem has been resolved now. It turned out to be a faulty dvd drive which was preventing the machine from booting.
    Thanks again anyway.

4. bob3690

bob3690 Private E-2

Edit..problem not resolved!

It booted ok once when drive disconnected but it is not booting now.....

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well, time to pull that card out and reseat it first, power it back up and see. If still the same, replace it with your other card and boot with only one card in there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds