How important is gaming headset to PC gaming?

Discussion in 'Software' started by fata1tygeek, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fata1tygeek

fata1tygeek Private E-2

[​IMG]

Hi guys, I have always been using PC speakers while gaming, however, lately I have been thinking of getting headset as my friends who use it says that it will definitely enhance your gaming experience. Is that true? Was looking at the Gizmodo's E3 coverage when i saw this new Fatal1ty gaming headset MKII ($99). I really like Fatal1ty as I think he's a great gamer but I haven't gotten any Fatal1ty gear yet. Anyone who has other Fatal1ty stuff care to share their experience?

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=437&subcategory=442&product=18703&listby=

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

hmm. pros and cons of using a head set

pros:
    can game 24/7 and not wake my wife, neighbors, kids, etc.
    the good one's have surround sound and it actually works. even stereo ones are great for games, cause you can actually tell which direction things are happening.
    come in usb or 1.5mm connector (i think that's the size? )
    they have a mic for voice chat
    cons:
    they wont shake the room like a good subwoofer will
    the cheaper ones are really cheap (im using some $20 ones now, but i don't care)
    the usb ones can be a pain if you like to use your speakers once in a while, you either have to unplug them or go into the playback devices in the control panel and switch between your 2 sound cards, usb or other to get the speakers to work

cant' think of any more at the moment.

3. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I use head phones at minimum for FPSes, mostly because then I can tell the direction the sound is from. It's only really important that it be a headset, if you're working on line a lot. Other than that just sound is sufficient.

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

You did not mention a microphone. For some games like WoW communications is mandatory for superior game play. Most raids and arena play require faster communication than can be typed while controlling your character. You will hear things like "I know how to play" and "I know the fight" as if that was enough. It is not.
    Check your winning teams - they will be using communication to the maximum.

If you have good speakers and a desk mounted mike and there isn't another reason like bothering others, I would not get the headset. Spacial information helps game play and speakers offer the best rendition of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds