Active Partition sizes for 98se and 2000

Discussion in 'Software' started by Robster12, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Here's a gimme for you guys: What do you suggest for active partition sizes for:

1) Windows 98 Second Editon

2) Windows 2000

BTW, I understand, install 98 first , then 2K,
    then XP.
    Thanks you guys!

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Im guessing your gunna make 3 partitions, one for each OS and one for files, yes?

wow, dual booting has suddenly become rather trendy!

Depending on how much space you have to spare, personally i would give 2ooo a fair bit to breathe... taking into account about (ABOUT) 512MB~1024MB for Page File (depending on how big you wanna make it... i mean, mine is 256~512 ... since i have 256MB ram.. yep i know, static is better, but i deal with big files often :) ) and ooh, bout a gig an a half for Restores and stuff... probably about 4~7GB ... BUT dont quote me on that... ive never tried to use it on that!

Win98 can run on less (MUCH less) since it was around when HDs were very much smaller.. I'd give it about 2~3GB

but dont trust me, wait untill someone with more experience replies as well... :)

3. Robster12

Goldfish, thanks for the reply. I'm not concerned with getting things "too tight". That is, I can give the partitions some slack,
    since I plan to reinstall at least every 6 months anyway. I just needed to know a good minimum.
    I'll go ahead with:

1) 98 - 3GB

2) 2000 - 7GB

3) XP - 5GB

BTW - I should have said - this is mostly just so that I can mess around with 98,2000 so that in the future I may be able to take A+ test. I'm not going to really USE those OS's for anything, just to play around in the DOS environments and see if I can screw anything up:D

4. Aurelius

Aurelius Private First Class

Good thinking, Robster.
    I have been using 3 primary partitions: Win98se on 1st and 2nd, and Win98 (1st edition) with older apps on 3rd.
    I gave my first partition 3 GB which was more than enough - after 2 years I still have 1GB free space on it.
    As for the swap file, I recommend 512 MB (min & max) - or better still: put it on another partition or second disk.

5. Robster12

Yes, Aurelius,
    I think I may use a second HDD (I have 2 at my disposal - 60G and 30G) to put the swap files on and files to backup to, though I reallly don't have very much data, it seems I don't save very much stuff, mostly pages from this site.
    It will be good practice to put the swap files on the second drive, though., and I'm pretty sure my PSU can handle a second HDD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds