Outlook Express causes auto popup of AIM

Discussion in 'Software' started by chaslang, Feb 1, 2004.

1. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

After installing Outlook Express to use for my email, I noticed that every time I run Outlook Express that AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) automatically pops up. This is a pain and I
    did not ask for that to happen. On my Win 9x, Me, & 2K based PCs, I noticed a selection in Outlook Express's Tools->Options General tab that has the following option:

Automatically log on to AOL Instant Messenger

I have unselected this option and applied the change on at least 8 different PCs but AIM still keeps popping up. The PC this does not happen on is one where I have never installed AOL or AIM.

Notice above I did not include Win XP. That's because on my Win XP PC, the Outlook Express option to disable auto load of AIM does not even seem to exist. But it does automatically popup here too. And on the Win XP for some reason it makes the bootup of Outlook Express extremely slow (like about 2 minutes).

I search Microsoft's Knowledge base and could not find anyone else complaining of this problem. I thought it was just me until yesterday at a friends house I mentioned the problem and he has the exact some problem with AIM popup.

Anyone have any ideas why disabling does not work? And a fix would be most welcome too!

Charlie

2. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

once you intalled outlook, it automatically started aol and now aol is working on its own. you need to disable the feature in outlook and also disable aol separately

in xp use

msconfig to disable aol

or use a startup program controller and disable aol and also disable the option of aol in outlook

that should take care of it

I do not have aol but check in the settings to see if they have an option to disable it.

you should always try to disable a program from the start up, from its own settings. (within the program you are trying to disable)

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Outlook Express, tools, options uncheck auto load AIM with Outlook. Pretty easy. AIM also has an option to start with windows in its preferences. Closing the AOL tray icon for the first time will ask you if you want it to re-appear. Say no. Done. No need to edit with msconfig, or a startup manager because it will come back after first reboot because the program itself is set to start with Windows.

4. chaslang

Thank you endiablado & Major Attitude for the replies but I don't think you followed my question or perhaps I did not explain it well enough. I said I already disabled the Outlook Express option to auto load AIM. I do not have any Windows startup options to load AIM and there are no Run or Run Once commands in the registry to run it either. It just loads each time Outlook is started.

I did not mention that I do not load AIM at Windows startup in my question. Also, even if in AIM's options I tell it not to reconnect, it still comes back each time I start Outlook. Obviously, the Outlook check box does not work.

What I have foundout since posting my question is this. If I disable AIM from being my default instant messenger, the check box option disappears in Outlook and AIM no longer auto loads. So this is somewhat of a solution. However, I did want AIM to be my default instant messenger. I just don't want it to load when I start Outlook or when I boot my computers. Only when I want to run it. For that matter, even if I used MSN Messenger, I would also not want it to load in either.

5. Major Attitude

I was going to say in a similar way.. Im using AIM beta and its fixed in that, might want to go for latest beta release.

6. chaslang

I will have to checkout the AIM beta you are talking about. Do you have a version number and where did you get it from?

By the way you said, its fixed in the beta. I take this to mean you saw the same problem in the previous AIM version. Or did you just mean you don't see the problem with your current version of Outlook and the AIM beta?

7. Major Attitude

I used to have the same problem, I would uncheck it, but it still ran with Outlook. Really pissed me off :) In the beta it seems to work fine for me. The latest beta can be downloaded in your AIM by going to auto updates and check final and beta releases instead of the default, which is final releases. Optionally you can download from AIM page at http://www.aim.com/get_aim/win/win_beta.adp?aolp=

Optionally, again, you could download ICQ at http://www.icq.com which I just went back to myself :)

8. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

no, i had that problem too. Heres how you fix it! Its so simple its mind boggling.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      48.7 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  9. chaslang

Wenchie,

Thanks for the reply! If you notice in the thread, I sent another message Yesterday, 23:40, where I discovered the same thing. That is really a work around to avoid the popups but not a fix since I do want AIM to be my default instant messenger.

I have to check out the latest AIM beta that Major Attitude has mentioned (Thanks Major)

10. Major Attitude

Wenchies idea is good. Setting something as default allows the program to be auto opened by different applications, in this case Outlook. Give her idea a try first if you like, that should do it if all else has failed!

11. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

*** :D ***

12. chaslang

Problem still occurs after loading the beta version of AIM (Version 5.5.3553) So I guess I'll just have to tell AIM not to be default instant messenger and live with it.:mad:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  13. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

it doesnt make any difference really. All that it means is that its not incorperated into the Windows programs. It makes it independant and all your other settign in everything stays the same.

I tihnk you think it means something that it doesnt.

14. Major Attitude

There ya go. Default sounds nice and makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, but if you dont have another client installed, its no big deal. Heres an example. Lets say you love Winamp, but prefer another program to play movies. You can set Winamp as the default player and still play movies with another program.

15. chaslang

Thanks Major & Wenchie,

You guys are right. I guess I was just being a little thick headed. :D

16. OldTimeGeek

OldTimeGeek Private E-2

I found great advice on this thread about how to keep AIM from starting up. Unfortunately, all the steps I've implemented don't work. I'm running Windows2000 and IM shows up in my system tray at startup. I'd rather it didn't. I can't uninstall it, because my daughter needs to run it, but I'd like it to start when we ask it to.

Here are the particulars:
    AOL IM version 5.9.3690

In AIM Preferences, Sign On/Off, these are not checked:
    Start AIM when Windows starts
    Make AIM my default instant messenger program

Ran MSConfig, saw nothing about AOL or AIM.

Outlook Express is now uninstalled.

Autoruns.exe shows this registry entry:
    Under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AIM is there but not checked (so it should not start up).

AIM still starts up on boot and tries to connect to the Internet to log on.

Any other suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds