Computer will DHCP but can't ping by name

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Temp31415, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Temp31415

Temp31415 Private E-2

I'm having a problem with a Media center computer. It will DHCP and get an IP address but it won't ping by name, just by ip address. It will resolve names by using NSlookup so the network seems okay. I know this can be a problem with a corrupt LSP (and have had a problem with this on this computer before) but HijackThis and LSPfix don't show any problems. I've run AVG, Spybot, Adaware, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, and Spysweeper all coming back clean. Any suggestions or has anybody seen this before?

The computer is on a dsl connection going thru a microsoft router. (As far as I know) eveything is configured ok and I haven't had any other problems on this router. The internet is working fine for other computers.

I posted this in the anti-spyware forum because that's what I think the problem is and was told this might be a better place.

Thanks in advance!

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Are you talking on a local network or the internet?

3. dedub

dedub Corporal

Is netbios over tcp/ip enabled?

4. Temp31415

Temp31415 Private E-2

I think I fixed the problem. It was a problem with the LSP (if I'm using the right terms)

I used a program suggested to me called WinSockXPFix

Thanks for your suggestions.

5. drtgibbs

drtgibbs Private E-2

Had the same problem of being able to find a computer on network by ip but not but computer name--it affected connections with one of my SQL servers.

All software OP fixes did not solve problem. Turned out to be a bad NIC card in the SQL server. Easy $29 fix!

6. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

While only semi-related, I used to run AVG and found that not only would it never update, but it was starting to actually cause problems with my network. Switched to avast! and find it much nicer and less of a resource hog... IMHO only.

Sorry to stray off topic, but wanted to toss t out there as I did have some major network issues because of AVG (got rid of it and all issues gone... hrmmm)

~C

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds