NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by leslyons, Apr 8, 2005.

1. leslyons

leslyons Private E-2

HELP! I have NO clue what is going on. I bought a new desktop PC (a custom build at a local pc store) about 18 months ago. The monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 955DF. I'm running Windows XP Professional on a Pentium 4 2.40 GHz with 512MB RAM.

The display driver is an NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X.

Within the past 60 days, the monitor flickers, draws weird colors on screen, goes black for 5-10 seconds before restoring, etc. I can only run it in a few modes for it to be readable. I am currently running it in 800 x 600, because that's about the only thing I can read! I get weird distortions, etc. when I try to run in a higher mode, although it has worked fine up until 2 months ago.

I am somewhat of a novice (definitely not a techno-geek), and don't know what to do! Can anyone help?
    1. Is my screen bad?
    2. Is my driver bad? (can't find any updates at NVIDIA website)
    3. Do I have a card, or a motherboard that is bad?

As you can tell, I'm pretty much lost!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

All the above are possible.

Does it do it in Safe Mode or not?

What is the driver version you are using and have you tried another?

3. leslyons

leslyons Private E-2

I don't know if it does it in the safe mode. I'll have to try that. The driver version is 4.5.2.3, dated 7/28/2003, and I can't find another driver, so I don't know if another driver will work. I went to the NVIDIA site for a driver download, but they don't even list this model any more!

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

5. leslyons

leslyons Private E-2

That is GREAT news! I appreciate the help. I went to the NVIDIA site and downloaded the driver for XP/2000, but maybe I need to download the XP Professional 64. I'm not sure. I'm running XP Professional, but the "64" threw me. Should I be using the XP Professional 64 driver? Thanks!

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Unless you have XP Pro 64bit or Server 2003 64bit installed then NO ... just get the XP / 2000 one ( top option )

7. Insomniac

And just one more thing, video card drivers are updated on an almost monthly basis.

The ones you were using were almost two years old!

Updating them can mean improvements in performance and efficiency.

8. leslyons

leslyons Private E-2

OK Guys. Here's the latest:
    1. I uninstalled the old NVIDIA driver, downloaded and installed the new one - same problems as before. Whenever I enter a keystroke, the screen will go blank for anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds, then come back. It does this frequently.
    2. I started the PC in the Safe Mode, and NO problems!

Now what? Now that I know it will work propertly in the safe mode, how do I further troubleshoot the problem to figure out what's going on?

I REALLY appreciate your help! This is very frustrating.

9. Insomniac

Try looking in the Event Viewer for clues.

It's in Control Panel, then Administrative Tools.

Also, try Dr Watson, details on how to use it can be found HERE.

10. ThaPimpster

ThaPimpster Private E-2

Imhaving the same problem as well and if you dont mind could you break it down in to smiple english as ive tryed to read the thing on the link to dr.watson and i dont get it because im abit slow and need abit more explainnation when it comes to computers thanks

Gaz

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds