Power supply monitor, is there one?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Metalist2, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Metalist2

Metalist2 Private First Class

Is there a program to monitor your psu? Like to see if it sucks or not?

2. Orbital57

Orbital57 Private First Class

I imagine that most people here would suggest downloading Everest as a general monitoring program for all hardware.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Should pick up the voltages for you on each rail and let you know how far out they are.

Also if you look on the PSU casing then it should have a sticker that tells you the output. 300W etc, If it's a cheap computer and the basic PSU then yes, it will be pretty poor (mine was an embarissing 200W) but I'm sure people here will recommend better for you in the Hardware forum (or look around, it's been asked a few times).

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

It's called a Multimeter, and the help from this:
    http://www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html

Everest is good program to monitor, seems to be pretty accurate.

Tell us the brand & model, I would have to say most all generic suck aswell as many brand name models, I'll be glad to toss in 2 cents!

4. zepper

zepper Corporal

Sisoft's Sandra can monitor voltages over time. Even the hardware monitor programs that come with some mobos can do that.

.bh.

5. Metalist2

Metalist2 Private First Class

Well, i hope this tells you something.. Antec 300W aftermarket psu fro mabout 1999

6. zepper

zepper Corporal

What the PSU is makes no diff., it is hardware on the mobo that does the monitoring and makes the data available at I/O ports for programs to access. If your mobo doesn't have, then you're SOL... You'll just have to run a torture-test program and monitor the voltages one at a time using a DMM (digital multi-meter). That will give you more accurate and reliable measurements anyway. The hardware monitor programs are noted for their inaccuracy.

.bh.

7. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I'm curious, exactly where does Everest list Power Supply figures?

8. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Actually it's reading voltages thru your MOBO, technically not your PSU.
    Everest go to: Computer/Sensor
    Voltage Values are noted below Temps & fan Speeds

The Voltages displayed within Everest are in real time & under load.
    Those reading's are only as good as the sensors providing such.

9. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Antec makes some great PSU.
    1999 got some age, PSU's Aint like wine, age wont help.
    300 watt isnt going to cut it for the Latest Greatest MOBO's & video cards or even some from last few years
    It all depends on whats in your system.

10. Insomniac

Which is my point, it's not that accurate, and it would depend on your hardware.

For example, Everest only lists my hard drive temperature and nothing else.

11. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I did suggest a multimeter first.

Everest only list your HDD, what kind of MOBO ya running must be an oldie
    Everest is great utility!
    Here's a screenie of mine:

Attached Files:

12. Insomniac

Quote "I did suggest a multimeter first"

Yes I know, I was agreeing with you and saying it's much more accurate than software programs like Everest.

And yes my motherboard is a POS. I only have the hard drive temperature listed.

I'm an Everest fan, just need a new PC to actually benefit from it. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds