"You Cannot Push It Any Faster Jim!!!"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bnsa, Dec 22, 2006.

1. bnsa

bnsa Private E-2

(For those Star Trek Fans out there)

I have a question that is a little confusing to me and a few others.

I saw I'm getting 10/100Mbs (the 100 part) on my internet connection. Is that a speed limit of how fast I'm going? I'm not sure how to understand if that is fast or slow and if slow, can I push it any faster?

My internet runs fine on all three computers, I have no problems, just wondering how to understand the 10/100 thing because I saw in a store that a switcher can allow upto 1000 (1 gig) of transfer. That's what made me question if I can push the 10/100 barrier of my router and if so how.

My Setup:
    I have about 4 to 6 Megabit download from Comcast Cable going into my Linksys modem. (Verified) It then goes to another Linksys that is a broadband router (Used for Vonage). From there I have a Wireless transmitter piggybacking off of that for our wireless laptop. The wireless is getting about 56Megs I'm guessing a second.

Thanks for your time and any info you share.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

All the numbers that you mentioned pertain to LAN traffic.

I.e. if you exchange files between computers (Nothing to do with the Internet).

Your Internet connection is 6Mb/sec. So even a slow 10Mb/sec. old card is much faster than your Internet.

To put in other words. If you have $6 (Internet Speed) and you put it in a Bigger purse (Faster LAN Card). It still would be $6.

Otherwise, Optimizing the TCP/IP Stack - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds