Dell Inspiron 545ST partition or boot error; won't boot to Windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by cobrabill, Sep 27, 2010.

1. cobrabill

cobrabill Private E-2

Hi,

My system is: Dell Inspiron 545ST desktop, dual-core processor, Windows 7, 6 GB RAM, 750 GB HD. Eight months old, still under warranty. I haven't backed up anything because, like making a will, I figured there was plenty of time. My tech knowledge is slightly above average--a dangerous thing.

I created a new, FAT32 (I believe; the computer's default is NTFS, of course) 20-GB partition using free, online software that seemed OK. (I don't know which because I can't access it now.) I used it to transfer Windows98 files from a USB-connected enclosure containing an old hard drive to the partition, which it seemed to do flawlessly.

I chose the software's option to make the partition bootable. I thought maybe if anything was funky, it would be isolated and I could destroy the monster I created. Wrong!

I received an error message I do not remember. I figured, OK, that failed, but I still have the partition and the data.

I rebooted, and the Dell diagnostic screen came up. I ran every test, but, like they all are, it was useless. I rebooted, and found that was now the default boot-up screen. After trying numerous fixes and about 30 reboots, I got this error message: Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [1c]. The error message has never repeated.

I called Dell, but they blew me off because it's software related.

I can use bootable CDs. To dig myself deeper, I tried Ultimate Boot CD, which was hours of fun, but my proficiency is inadequate; partitions are new to me. I've tried various other programs, including a Windows 7 system repair disk I hoped would be generic made on an HP. It did not seem to be generic. That failed and told me to contact HP.

My options on reboot are F2 (Setup) and F12 (Boot Options). I have no layman's access to anything on the computer. I've tried F8 and F11--and every other number--while pressing and not pressing the obvious keys, but any Dell utilities on the hard drive are now not found--I don't think the computer sees that partition, or maybe any partition, anymore. The only Dell software I have is the diagnostic/driver CD--the same thing the computer boots to.

I don't know what the real problem is. I learned through UBCD there are a lot of things to know about partitions and the boot process.

I have access to a new Windows 7, quad-core HP desktop. I'm somewhat versed in DOS, if that would help, but I'd need my hand held. My patience is not Jobian, but it's close. I'm certainly not afraid of trying anything--my boundless stupidity needs daily exercise.

I would greatly appreciate any insight. Let me know what else I can provide, and a thousand thanks!

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, cobrabill.

Quick question: is the data on the old 98 drive still accessible?

Hang in there, and welcome to MG! :major

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Another quick question: have you tried Ctrl+F11?

4. cobrabill

cobrabill Private E-2

Hello, Caliban,

Thanks for the greeting and the welcome!

The data on the old Windows 98 drive is still accessible on the old Windows 98 drive, which I now have in an enclosure that can be connected via USB to any computer it will fit.

The same data I transferred from the old Windows98 drive to the Dell Inspiron may still be in the Dell, although I thrashed around with the Ultimate Boot CD and a couple of other programs in a desperate attempt to kill it, thinking that might solve or diminish my problem. At any rate, the way things stand, I can't access it on the Dell.

Control + F11 was no good.

I shall hang in there. It's comforting to know somebody's out there...

5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Correct me if I am wrong on this, but you were attempting to run Win98 as a bootable OS, with your current hardware?

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

6. cobrabill

cobrabill Private E-2

Hi, the mekanic, and thanks for the welcome.

I tried to make the partition I had created bootable. I was hoping a) it was possible and b) the software knew what it was doing. I figured Windows 7 would be able to handle Windows 98 if that was an issue.

The short answer is I didn't know what I was doing and still don't.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds