can't boot windows from hd, can boot linux from cd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vinouspleasure, Jan 28, 2012.

1. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Private E-2

Hi,

I have a five year old home build that won't boot windows. The motherboard beeps once, the cursor blinks 5-10 times and then I have a blank screen. I downloaded the ubcd and I was able to boot from the cd.

I'm not sure, but I think one of the kids turned it off without shutting down...leads me to believe the hard disk needs repair.

Here are the main components of the build:
    ASUS M2A-VM HDMI AM2 AMD 690G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
    LG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model GSA-H42LK
    maxtor hd
    running 64 bit xp sp3

tia,
    jd

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I would suggest going in to the bios and set the HDD to be the first boot device and turn off the boot from USB option. See if that helps.

I have found that some printers and other devices with card readers can cause a very long pause (5 minutes or more) at boot while the system goes through each device looking for bootable media.

3. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Private E-2

thanks, that's been tried. also, I've been patient, have waited over an hour for the boot.

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

OK, it was just a thought.

When you boot the live CD, are you able to mount and view the HDD?

Do you have any USB devices plugged in other then a Mouse?

Do you have anything in any of the CD/DVD drives?

Do you have anything in any of the card reader slots?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

And if you have your Windows install CD, use the hit "R" for repair option to get into recovery console. You can use the fixmbr command to write a new MBR which might help. If that doesn't work and you still don't even get the WinXP logo go back to recovery console and try running the chkdsk /r command.

6. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

The MBR didn't even occur to me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds