Dual boot vista and XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by N5638J, May 22, 2008.

1. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Can someone help me dual boot Vista and XP home on a Acer Aspire 5315? it came preinstalled with Vista home basic but it won't work with some hardware so i want to put XP on it for the guy. the laptops hdd has already been parted to 2 68gb C: being vista and D: i want XP on.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

3. N5638J

N5638J Guest

I already seen that first one i got it ready for it i just can''t get it to install because when i boot from the XP cd it says theres no hard drive. and i can't do it like the 2nd because i don't have a Vista dvd.

4. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Heres a bad photo of it but it shows what i am dealing with :(

Attached Files:

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If it's a SATA drive, you need to format the 2nd partition (drive D: ) before the XP setup will recognize it (unless you have a floppy drive or an external USB floppy drive to put the SATA/RAID driver into for the "F6" driver). If the partition is formatted NTFS, XP should pick it up w/o problems. Just use the Vista Disk Management Console. Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management. Right click drive D: and select format.
    :)

[dlb]

6. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Every part of the HDD is NTFS and its ATA (Laptop) The part i want to put it on has been Formated I never had a PC kick my but but this laptop sure has i never seen this happen before. If only the 3rd party software and hardware (AT&T aircard) worked from the start i would not be in this mess. Hes just gonna take it back and get the compaq (Think i will have the same problem? lol he thinks oh just get another laptop that will make it work and no it won't if its Vista and the 3rd party making the problem. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds