Broken Laptop Display - Using External Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by volgrad86, Apr 8, 2008.

1. volgrad86

volgrad86 Private E-2

My daughter dropped her Toshiba laptop and for sure the display is broken.

However, I attached an external monitor, but am having a problem. I can get the external monitor to work if I boot the system in Windows Safe Mode (running Vista Premium Home Edition) but cannot get anything to display on the external monitor if I allow the laptop to boot in Windows Normal Mode.

I've tried the "F5" function numerous times to no avail.

Any ideas?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The video drivers and display settings are configured for the LCD (which is broken). So when Windows tries to send a picture to the monitor, it is being sent but it has properties that the monitor cannot display. When you try to boot in normal mode, do you get a picture on the external monitor to a certain point and then it goes out? Do you get the Windows logo and the scrolling bar, but after a bit it goes black? If so, then what I described is what the problem is. When Windows loads the video driver, you lose the picture. How to fix it? Boot in safe mode and uninstall the driver from the device manager. Then reboot in normal mode and Vista should re-install it using default settings for the monitor you have hooked up to it. Be sure you have a current driver on a CD before you remove it just in case Vista doesn't automatically install it when you reboot in normal mode. Some laptops also have a setting in BIOS that determines the main/default display. The settings might look something like this: "LCD>CRT" is one setting with "CRT>LCD" being it's other option; or it might look like "CRT/LCD" or it might say something like "Init display :" followed by LCD or CRT.... be sure you set it to CRT if you have an option.

3. Robcor

Robcor Private E-2

Hi DLB
    I'm having a very similar problem to volgrad86. I have the same problem with the laptop display, it was dropped and no longer works. I have been using the laptop connected to a TFT monitor and it has been working fine. I have had to reinstall Vista using the emergency recovery tools on the laptop, the problem i am having is that it won't let me boot into safe mode to load the new drivers until "windows vista setup has completed". I cant complete vista setup because the monitor goes blank :(
    The bios does not have a display option.
    Any ideas would be gratefully received :)
    Thanks

4. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

on vista while hooked up to an external monitor, the external monitor will go blank at the password prompt- enter your password and hit enter

5. maybach08

maybach08 Private E-2

im havin the same kinda problem but i get no pic on the laptop monitor.. and when i plug it into the external lcd i still get no picture !!

plz help!!

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Robcor & maybach08:
    It's generally best to start your thread instead of 'hijacking' or tagging onto the end of someone elses thread. You'll get better exposure as you'll have your own title and heading, and the help offered will be directed at your thread only, and not at someone elses. So, please start your own new threads.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds