What Constitutes A Hero?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Aphelion5, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Aphelion5

Aphelion5 Private E-2

What makes the distinction from anyone to a hero?

Ok. It's an old debate... but all the other threads out there have been inactive for so long.

I think that it's the belief that a hero holds in their ideal - this drives them to lead and inspire, outperform and outlast all others in their cause.

Any other ideas?

2. Gensuknives

Gensuknives Grand pooty-meister

One who steps up and acts, when he could just as easily hang back and wait for someone else to do the hard stuff. And, usually without regard for his OWN safety or position.

3. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

That says it

4. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

A hero is all the men and women that are in Afghanistan an Iraq at the mo, including the ones who have already lost their lives, while the likes of us lot sit comfy at home !

PLEASE ! No debates over why they are out there they are HERO's no doubt about that !

5. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Hmm I had thought you meant those comic book characters wearing their underpants on the outside and a cape. or even those genetically challenged guys from Heroes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_(TV_series)

However, the simple answer is in the dictionary: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hero

lol I like the sandwich

6. Aphelion5

Aphelion5 Private E-2

Yeah, but if a hero didn't have a weakness, it would be his JOB to do extraordinary things.
    I'm sure that's how it works, dunno how yet.

7. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

My Mother constitutes as a hero in my life.
    Pregnant 12 times 11 survived.(I'm no# 11 or 12 how ever you look at it)
    She did all the work around the home 'til dad got home and yet still did the most part.(someone had to keep us in line:p) and had to go to work when times were rough as well.
    Took a lot of :crap from our father and total strangers when ever she stood up for us children when they thought we did wrong or lied.
    Helped others out when she didn't really have the time or the means too.
    The list goes on. As far as what constitutes a hero is really in the eyes of those who call someone a hero. IMHO. Now she didn't fight in any war, but that's not to say that I don't think of our solders as hero's just a different type of hero, My Father and brothers were solders and I think of them as my hero's who saved me from the bad guys over sea.
    Don't know if that make sense to anyone else.

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

My Dad,busted his @SS at a job that literally crippled him just so we didn't go without growing up.

And my mum for putting up with my dad. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds