is my linksys router making me lag?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J J, Aug 30, 2005.

1. J J

J J Corporal

i have a linksys befw11s4 wireless access point router and at regular intervalls the internet will all of a sudden lag while i play couner strike source could this be because of the upd switch in the router or something else? dont ask me to take the router off cause for somereason that i dont feel like trying to figure out when i remove it and plug straight to the modem i dont work i dont no why it just doesnt.

2. Mr.Clean

Mr.Clean Private E-2

wireless always lags the only one that doesnt is dlink's gaming router

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

If you have 2GHz phones around you (sometimes neighbors' phones interfere too) then it could drop your connection altogether. But other than that and a poor signal, I don't see why it would lag.

Update drivers, firmware?

Mr.Clean, if you have solid reasons why wireless "always" lags, please post. I'm curious to know more and I'm sure others are too.

4. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

I agree with Kodo. almost all our phones are 2.4ghz and even if you are using the phone near the router you'll get some interference.

Kodo, I think what Mr. Clean means by wireless lag is that you might not be able to maintain a good connection. Whereas if you are right next to the router, than you probably wont get any lag.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats not true. I've done multiple tests with my network here, and the difference between wireless and wired is ~2ms.

AFAIK, Dlink's gaming router merely uses QOS, which so do other Dlink routers, with a firmware (in my case beta).

Dlink's gaming router would be especially useful with someone who also has VOIP.

Here, where I have a 9/1 cable connection, its not even remotely an issue.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

J J,

Have you updated your firmware lately? The reason i ask is because I did and it turned my 9Mbps download into 500Kbps.

So in short, yeah I guess it could be your router.

7. J J

J J Corporal

well the router is right by me and it got a 4 port switch so i use that

8. J J

J J Corporal

and yes i do have a fairly new firmware

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Guess the best way to find out then is to remove the router. You may not want to, but troubleshooting is not about what you want to do, its about isolating and fixing the problem.

As for your modem not working when you go straight to the computer, its probably because its a cable modem, trained to the router MAC address. So you power it off, turn it back on, and it will retrain to your PC's NIC MAC.

Or, if you have DSL, then its probably PPPoE, which means you have to setup a connectoid within Windows, and will need the username and password for the connection.

10. J J

J J Corporal

what i said

11. J J

J J Corporal

ps i have tried it i cant get it to work

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds