P4 Overclock

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jedandjess, May 13, 2006.

1. jedandjess

jedandjess Private First Class

Can anyone help me to overclock my aging P4 1.8ghz, or tell me if it is possible. Here are my specs (there are no options in bios to change the multiplier or fsb)...

CPU
    1.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

MOTHERBOARD
    Board: Compaq 077Ch
    Serial Number: 4D21KPVFT06A
    Bus Clock: 400 megahertz
    BIOS: Compaq 686Y2 v3.04 07/29/2002

I'd like to get it to ~2-2.2ghz if possible. The chip is not a northwood its a willamite as you might have gathered, the computer itself is quite old (2002) and its a compaq presario 5000.

2. geekedittilitGHz

geekedittilitGHz <i>puto cum grano salis</i>

3. jedandjess

ah well worth a try

guess its gonna be a new mobo and chip then, anyone recomend a good budget CPU that I could overclock? I'd prefer to go Sempron which is the best buy?

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Have a look at this link an Intel Dual Core that can stabily hit 4.0GHz for $130 it is beating top-end AMD@$1,000.

I'm seriously considering getting one a kick ass budget PC:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/

Add print.html to the end of the link to get a single ad free page, takes longer to load though.

I would get a Gigabyte mobo w PCIe with it, they are listed in the link!

5. jedandjess

Cool thanks for the links. My friend from IRC told me about this last week I already read the article. He bought one just to see if it is possible and see how fast he can make her go. Sounds too good to be true, I will wait and see how he got on!

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

I clocked my williamette from 1.5ghz to 2.0ghz. Also had RD ram installed. Did a great job. My motherboard was the thing that wouldn't co-operate.

All I did was gradually up the FBS in the bios.

7. jedandjess

I wish it was that easy but this mobo has no fsb options at all in the bios. Looks like I'll have to get a new board and chip. I just got a 6800XT graphics card and tried to play some new games like FEAR and Sin Episodes Emergeance etc... the card is sweet but my CPU and RAM just won't co-operate on newer games. Doom III runs no faster with the 6800XT than it did with a 6200TC. :rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds