autoplay

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grumbles, May 5, 2008.

1. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

I have been having an issue with getting the Autoplay screen to appear on screen when inserting a camera chip into the card reader on my HP Photosmart C5280 printer. I am using Windows XP SP1 Desktop.

The Autoplay screen appears fine when I insert a disk into the CD/DVD slot, so this is not a problem.

When I right click on the Printer icon to get to Properties, I have only 3 options:
    General, Events and Color management. In the Events box there are 3 options: 'Start this program with' whichever photo package, 'Prompt for which program to run' and 'Take no action'. There is a 4th option which is greyed out 'save all pictures to this destination' which i cannot access!

I have previously covered this problem in the Drivers Forum and all drivers are up to date.
    Has anyone got any suggestions?

2. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

What does it say in My Computer when you right click the readers drive letter, and select properties > autoplay?

3. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

When i r/click on the printer where the media card reader is in, and properties there are only 3 options: General,Events and color man.

I re-inserted the HP installation disk, but there are no other bits of software missing.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi G

Autoplay will be accessed via My Computer and the media devices properties ( right click properties and then autoplay tab ) in My Computer when you pop your media card in the printers slot do you get a new media or removable device icon appear and if so when opened does it link to your cards images?

I have similar printer but I have mine wirelessly connected and as such is listed as a network drive and doesnt have any options for autoplay by default so cannot test.

Possible that this app may help http://www-stud.uni-essen.de/~sddabacz/prog.php?id=apr (Autoplay Repair)

Also if you have had issues with malware that, you may have system corrupted files or missing so maybe run sfc /scannow to check integrity of system files and repair any missing ones. Also I notice running SP1? why not SP2 at least or SP3.

Edit: Forgot to add this, do you use TweakUI, if you do make sure than in its My Computer > Autoplay > Drive settings, you have not unchecked the drive letter that the printers media reader could use. When a card in inserted into the printers media drive, goto Disk Managment and see if a drive apears for the printer.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  5. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Ignore me :eek: I am running SP2

6. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

I will report back soon :)

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi G

SP2 ok good.

So this is partly ok as autoplay is not broken, but chip in camera, thought it was printer, if camera is plugged in via USB, what model camera do you have and again most models use XPs mass driver to act as a removable drive, again check My Computer from a new removable drive once plugged in.

Yes sorry, sfc /scannow is run from run, so click Start > Run and paste this sfc /scannow ( likey need XP cd if asked for )

If you didnt already have TweakUI installed its very unlikely you uncheck the Autoplay drive option, but still work a check as something else may have adn with TweakUI if this is so you will be able to enable it again.

8. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi Halo, back with more
    I installed the Auto Repair from OrangeBlue, http://www-stud.uni-essen.de/~sddabacz/prog.php?id=apr (Autoplay Repair)which brings up Autoplay Manager where you can delete and create autoplay files. I found it a bit complicated though. It also requested that I download and install the Microsoft.Net Framework 3.0, which I did, as I only had 1.0! It wouldn't work without this newer version.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  9. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Ran the sfc /scannow and a DOS dialogue window briefly appeared for 1 second and disappeared :( Tried this command again and same happened.

This PC is heading closer to the waste bin LOL

10. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Further info:

When i insert the camera chip into the printer card reader (built in), the reader displays how many pictures there are and then I can access all of them via the HP Photosmart Library.
    Is there any any way to bypass the Autoplay and copy them to file, as if Autoplay did not exist? Or an alternative which i could download?
    My wife takes a lot of photos and was very comfortable using the Autoplay procedure as it was easy. :)

G

11. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I think Halo is correct.

You might try Start > Run > then type REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL > OK

Steve

12. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Ok I have typed that in to the command box. A message came up saying that it had succeeded :)
    Now for a reboot - will post result later, thanks

G

13. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

No luck :(

So its not the printer, its the PC? When I try tweakUI nothing changes, but I will try again :)
    G

14. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Just a few more ideas, things you can try.

If you have installed any photo software like Photoshop Elements or something similar, it could be taking over the autoplay function or disabling it. Photoshop would have a setting under options or somewhere I would think.

And, apparently there are other programs that can create autoplay problems. Real Player and Rhapsody are just a few.

Steve

15. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

I have got Real Player - i could easily uninstall it and see if this helps.
    Another option i found is http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Autoplay_Repair.htm

Looks like i may have to have a go at this :(

Is there another way to transfer the photos from the chip onto the PC? I would buy the software, just enough to get these into My pictures!

Autoplay working fine for DVD/CD but not the printer - maybe i will uninstall the printer and see what happens. Going to be a long weekend here ;)

G

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  16. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

You should be able to transfer the pics by connecting your camera to the computer. Put the card back in the camera, connect it to the PC thru a USB port and Windows XP should recognize it and launch the Scanner And Camera Wizard.

The Wizard will walk you through the steps involved in copying your pictures from the camera to a folder of your choice.

Steve

17. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

I uninstalled Real Player, ran CCleaner and rebooted. Put camera chip in the printer media card reader and Hey Presto - the Autoplay appeared again :)

:celebrate Major Geeks team saved the day again.

Thank you very much Halo and Matacumbie

G

18. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Glad you got it sorted Grumbles. :)

Steve

19. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Disappeared again :( D/L TweakUI and Autoplay Repair, but absolutely no idea how to operate it! Any help?
    I have no Autoplay on screen even when inserting DVD/CD as well as camera chip into HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-one Media Card Reader.

G

20. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

This is a strange one but it worked for me. I put in a saved dvd rw that had loads of photos on it and the pc searched through the files and restored the autoplay function that had originally been there :confused
    Happy again :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds